28

"Miles, come down here!"

Miles opened his eyes and sighed. Was it already time for dinner? He took a quick look at his clock and noticed that he had already missed dinner. But why did they wake him up, then?

He slowly walked down to the living room, where his whole family had gathered.

Miles frowned: "What is this?"

"Sammy will be killing his first vampire today!", Dad proudly announced.

The expression on Mom's face was anything but happy and Sammy seemed nervous as well, but Dad was excited.

"Honey", he turned to Mom, "we all are excellent hunters and very careful, Sammy's safe."

There wasn't anything Mom could do to stop this, anyway, so five minutes later, her husband and her four children were sitting in the car and drove off.

"I followed some leads at work", Logan explained. "In this one building, there were several animal attacks during the past months and now someone died, so we'll intervene."

Dad pointed at the bad Logan held on his lap: "Logan, look in there, please."

Then he addressed all of them: "I build more vampire recognition devices, now that I've found out how the original one works, so now we have four of them. We'll have to split up, because we don't know which apartment the vampire lives in. Sammy's coming with me, the three of you each take one floor. When you find something, you call and we'll meet."

Shortly after, they entered the apartment building.

Miles went up the stairs to the forth floor, then he pulled out that device and pointed it at the first door on this floor.

There were more than a hundred apartments just on this floor. Miles sighed, this would take all night ...

He found it stupid that now all five of them were walking around this house, holding small devices on doors and waiting for them to light up.

Especially because Dad was so excited about taking Sammy with them.

Sammy actually did not want to have anything to do with all this. He knew all those stories about vampires and about the family history as well, but until now he had always been lucky not to be pulled into this too much.

Mom was overly protective with him, he was the youngest.

His siblings had already started hunting when they had been younger than Sammy was now, but Sammy still had the chance to have a life that was not determined by hunting. For the others, it was kind of too late.

When Miles had met Scott and Nate, he had thought that maybe he could have both. Be a hunter and have friends. Honour the family tradition, but still be a teenager.

But obviously, that did not work out.

Vampires, hunters, all this stuff ruled Miles' life and apparently there was nothing he could do about it.

Miles was so busy thinking, that he had almost missed the blinking of the device in his hands.

He stopped abruptly and stared at the door in front of him.

He took out his phone, but then hesitated. Instead of calling his family, he began picking the lock. With a quiet * click* the door opened and Miles sneeked into the apartment. There was a short hallway with a few doors. Bathroom, kitchen, living room ... and the bedroom. That was where he needed to go.

The bedroom door was not closed completely, so he took a look inside the room. There were two figures lying in their bed and Miles could hear them breathe calmly.

Miles stepped a little closer and held upt the device, it lit up again.

Now he decided it was time to tell his family, so he wrote a brief text message, giving them the number of the apartment he was in.

He took out one of the vampire poison injections and leaned over the left person.

He could begin with narcotizing them, before his family arrived.

But he hesitated and suddenly the woman opened her eyes. When she saw Miles, she jumped back and stared at him. Her eyes were full of fear and Miles knew that he should poison her now, but somehow he couldn't.

Fear was a real feeling, an emotion. What if Scott really was right?

But at that moment, the male vampire woke up and immediately jumped at Miles, who landed on his back on the floor.

He took out his knife and blocked the vampire's fists as much as possible.

"Wait, stop!", he shouted, but the vampire did not listen to him, but just growled angrily. Miles was able to grab his gun and pointed it at the vampire, who now stumbled back, staring at him furiously.

"Don't move, then I won't have to kill you!", Miles said and the vampire laughed sarcastically: "That's what you came here for!"

Miles hesitated: "But ..."

He bit his lip and looked at the gun in his hands. Okay, telling the vampire that Miles did not want to kill him did not seem very persuasive when he was pointing a gun at him ...

For one second, he was distracted, and that's when the woman jumped at him, startling Miles, so that his grib around the gun tightened and he accidently pulled the trigger.

The man froze and blood started dripping down his face. Then he sank to the floor.

The woman screamed and fell onto her knees beside him, when suddenly the door was pushed open and Miles' family came running into the room.

The female vampire jumped up and looked to the window.

"Miles, shoot her!", Logan shouted and the vampire looked Miles straight in the eyes. And he simply stared back, unable to move. And suddenly she was gone. The glass of the window broke and she disappeared.

Dad growled angrily and Logan was confused: "Why didn't you shoot?"

Miles slowly got up, while Dad was already storming off.

"Let's just leave", Claire said and Logan followed her.

Sammy looked at Miles for a while and eventually said: "I don't think it's bad that you didn't shoot. Now I don't have to kill the vampire. I really didn't wanna do that ..."

Then he turned around and followed his siblings. Miles looked after him. He really wanted a better life for Sammy, not this.