1

"Brooklyn Bridge", Addison Lancaster announced, when her husband Henry drove towards the bridge in their black Chevrolet Suburban.

Their 17-year-old son Miles could not prevent himself from grinning. His mom was so excited every time they came to New York.

Only this time it would not be for only a few days. The six of them were not coming here for a short job, but would be living here now.

Miles could not remember ever staying in one place for longer than a few months. That was because of their job. Vampire hunting.

Henry's father, his grandfather and many generations before them had passed on the knowledge about vampires and how to fight them. Henry had taught his children and one day they would do the same with their children.

It was their destiny.

Miles' sister Claire was 21, their brother Logan 22 and even the 13-year-old Samuel had already learned how to use all kinds of weapons. Their father did everything to prepare them for their job.

Miles had killed his first vampire when he was 12 and if he remembered correctly, Logan had done it even earlier. But they were used to it. Actually, their whole life consisted of hunting, they spent every night in their car or some motel – or ripping off a vampire's head.

Miles and his siblings did not know anything else, yet he had felt kind of relieved when the mayor of New York City had called the Lancasters.

His nephew had been found in an alley, completely drained of blood and since that day he became interested in the vampire plague of his city. There would always be vampires in a place like New York, it simply attracted them. And for that reason Miles' Dad had gotten a permanent job here.

So the highways were replaced by crowded streets and subways, the cheap motels by a penthouse right in Manhattan.

And the mayor had been really generous with their penthouse.

The entrance hall was already huge, the whole first floor was one room, a banquet table was placed right in the middle of it and there would probably never be all the seats taken. Behind that there was the living room with big couches made of white leather and the walls were made of glass, that went up to the second floor.

"The kitchen!", Mrs Lancaster screamed enthusiastically and immediately touched all the expensive-looking high tech stuff in there.

Only one room on the first floor was separated from the others. There were several locks on the door and next to it there was a small screen with numbers for a security pin and even a touch screen for fingerprint scanning.

"This is our training room", Henry Lancaster explained, when he noticed Miles staring. Miles just raised an eyebrow, these kinds of security measures seemed a little exaggerated, but probably his dad had been having too much fun using as much technology in this penthouse as possible.

"I'll pick my room first!", Sammy suddenly shouted and ran up thestairs.

"No?!", Claire protested and followed him quickly.

Dad only rolled his eyes, then he started opening the door to the training room. Finally a short beep came from the screen and a mechanic voice announced: "Access granted."

Mr Lancaster grinned proudly and entered the room, Logan and Miles followed him.

"Wow, Dad!", Logan gasped and looked around.