Chapter 10 - The return of Izzie and the unknown

Hayden’s POV

I felt so great after our run. To see the exhilarated look on Leena’s face almost took my breath away. She was finally starting to come out of her shell, finally becoming the wonderful girl that I knew she was. I found my love for her increasing dramatically and I knew I couldn’t live without seeing her face every day.

Eileenia’s POV

I was standing in the kitchen looking out the window at the tall gum trees where animals were scurrying and chattering to each other. Hayden had disappeared upstairs and I was making some lunch while humming quietly to myself when I heard the front door open.

A chill crept up my spine, something was very wrong.

“Hayden?” I called out and heard nothing.

I crept out of the kitchen only to find a small red haired woman come bustling in. She stopped when she noticed me, almost like I was the last thing she was expecting. She looked to be in her early forties with a cheery face and bright blue eyes.

“Well hello there.” She said happily to me.

I stepped back, the uneasy feeling still swirling through me. She advanced into the kitchen as I retreated further back. I know she didn’t seem like a threat but then neither had Selenia in the beginning.

“Well you’re a shy thing aren’t you? I’m not going to hurt you. I just came to see Charlie and give her this.” She placed the bag of what looked like groceries onto the kitchen counter “I still can’t believe with all that power she has that she can’t even cook a meal.” She shook her head “So what’s your name?” She then turned directly to me.

I gulped for air; I needed to run I had to get away. Panic engulfed me even though she looked at me so very kindly. I bolted past her quicker than she could blink and raced up the stairs past a surprised Hayden and curled up under my bed while feeling an uncontrollable terror grip me.

“Leena what’s wrong?” Hayden entered the room while speaking so calmly but I couldn’t say anything.

“Oh hi Hayden. Do you know what just happened?” The red haired woman asked and I curled up even tighter trying to control my erratic breathing.

“Hey Izzie! Did you startle Leena?” Hayden turned away from me.

“Is that the girl that just flew past me almost creating her own cyclone downstairs?” The woman asked with a chuckle.

“Yeah that’s her.” Hayden’s warm voice soothed my fear ever so slightly but I still refused to move “Leena this is my Mum’s best friend from high school.” He explained.

All my muscles refused to co-operate. I know I sensed something dreadful, something untoward. Maybe it wasn’t this woman but it had definitely enveloped me when I was downstairs. So once again I stayed still.

“Listen Leena I’m coming in okay, it’s just me I promise. Izzie is still standing at the doorway.” Hayden soothed as I heard his footsteps get closer “What happened love?”

He looked in at me and I stared at him wide eyed not knowing what to say. He smiled reassuringly at me and reached out his hand. I nervously put mine in his and gradually came out from where I was hiding. The red haired woman stood looking at us a little perplexed but still she smiled in welcome at me.

“Sorry to scare you. Wow look at your eyes.” The woman stared at me in complete astonishment “Oh dear you’re the girl from the school I’ve heard about.” I stared at her as I stepped behind Hayden feeling like I needed his protection.