Chapter 5 - A strange moving day

I never said farewell to my parents, I just asked Hayden to take me away from it all so we went back to his house. I knew it was a school day but with all the shocks I had received today I just couldn’t bring myself to care.

When Charlie finally arrived back seeming normal but with a look that justice had been served I stayed silent until she approached me.

“You don’t have to know anything unless you want to.” She told me seriously and I nodded “Is there anything you want from your old house?”

“Yes.” I answered simply.

“Okay you and Hayden spend the rest of the day getting your stuff. I have to go and sort some things out with Ben.” She let out an angry sigh “I never would have believed that we had such unsavoury characters on Argonia.”

“Do you know who’s in charge?” Hayden asked but she shook her head.

“I’ve got some names but that’s about it. I may have to go and check the Gate records as well. I know that Mary wouldn’t condone such activity though.” Charlie sighed and rubbed her hair absently which only made me feel more responsible.

“I’m sorry.” I said quietly, knowing I had to say something especially when this felt like it was only happening because of me.

“You should never be sorry.” Charlie said to me fiercely “You deserved to have some proper parents and when I next see your mother I am going to tan her hide!”

“Who is my father then?” I blurted out and Charlie looked a bit sadly at me.

“I’m the one that’s sorry now because I haven’t been able to find a trace of him. I get the feeling that he may be a human.” She tried to gentle the blow by giving me a hug.

“Wait so Leena can’t go through the Gate?” Hayden asked apprehensively.

“I don’t know Hay. There are just too many things that I don’t know.” Charlie whispered and I could almost feel her despair.

“I’m sorry.” I said again feeling such on overwhelming sense of blame but she shook her head and turned to me with a rueful smile.

“You need to stop apologising. None of this is even remotely your fault Eileenia, absolutely none of it.” She told me firmly “Now you two just zap back and forth so I don’t get a phone call from the school. Are you okay with staying here Eileenia? You can have my old room as well. But if you don’t want to stay with us that is completely fine you just need to tell me.”

To be honest I hadn’t even thought about it, I was so very used to being on my own. But to live with a family, a proper family at that, who loved each other, would be wonderful. Maybe they could actually come to even love me.

“No I’ll stay if it’s no bother.” I said while I heard Hayden let out the breath he was holding in.

“She just wants you to hang around for your awesome cooking ability.” Hayden teased and Charlie grinned wryly.

“If your not careful young man I’ll show her your baby photos.” Charlie threatened with a grin causing Hayden to groan.

While I just stood there and basked in their back and forth affection with each other. It was something I had never had but had always wanted. Even now I could only have a stilted conversation with Hayden. I knew it only flowed because he was filling in my blanks. There was nothing I would love more than to have the kind of relationship that Hayden shared with his Mum.

“Right you guys get yourselves organised and I’ll keep you informed okay.” Charlie interrupted my thoughts but I nodded absently at her before she disappeared.