Chapter 2 - A dinner, a movie and a run.

I couldn't bring myself to talk to Hayden for the rest of the week. I wanted to really badly but I just stopped myself every time. He never gave up he always tried to talk to me. I just retreated back into my shell like we had never had those two precious days together.

I arrived home on Friday afternoon to find my parents packing for another weekend getaway, so I hid in my room until they were gone. Once again I was on my own. To cheer myself up, I decided to make some spaghetti bolognaise.

I put my IPod on and sung along to my favourite songs, trying to distract myself from the dreadful week I had endured. It was while I was boiling the water for the spaghetti that I realised something had changed. I turned abruptly to find Hayden smiling affectionately from the doorway of my kitchen.

“Hey Leena you should really should lock your door you know, it was wide open when I walked past.” He said to me in concern.

 “My parents must have left it open.” I said quietly as I pulled off my head phones "I’ll lock it now.”

“Have they left you alone for the weekend?” He asked his voice quiet fierce and I just nodded.

“Leena you shouldn’t be alone all this time.” He said his voice laced with worry.

“I’m used to it.” I said abruptly as I quickly put the spaghetti into the boiling water. I set the timer and stirred the sauce, not realising that Hayden had walked up behind me.

“That smells awesome.” He told me encouragingly as he took a deep breath while I flinched away from him, but I still felt buoyed by his words.

“Did you want some?” I asked which shocked me that I had said anything let alone ask him to stay. But I had been trying to avoid him this last couple of days and that had been incredibly difficult. He was like a little cute puppy that was way too hard to resist.

“I would love some thanks! First things first I’m going to lock that door.” He disappeared for a minute before popping back in "I forgot my mobile so do you mind if I call my Mum?” He requested and I pointed to the phone on the bench top.

 While I organised to drain the pasta, he talked animatedly to his Mum. His final words of ‘sure I’ll ask her’ had me a bit worried. Still I spooned the sauce into two bowls and it felt so weird to have to serve that extra portion.  I was so used to doing everything on my own.

“Do you want a hand?” Hayden asked from behind me but I shook my head “Mum wanted me to ask you if you’d like to come over to our place for dinner tomorrow night?” He asked eagerly and I shook my head even harder, feeling a bit panicked.

“Please Leena, I promise that if you feel uncomfortable in any way that I’ll bring you back home.” He practically begged me but I didn’t answer him.

I handed him a bowl and walked into the lounge room, turned on the TV and sat down on the couch. He followed me in looking rather perplexed but he sat down and began munching away quite happily.