Chapter 1 - No longer hidden

Hi, thanks for reading my story. Due to publication this story is now a sample size only. If you would like a digital copy you can find one at Amazon, Smashwords, iBooks, Kobo and Barnes and Noble

Copyright © 2014 by Sandra Corton

ISBN: 978-0-6480239-0-6

All rights reserved.

Published by Sandra Corton

No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or used fictitiously, and any resemblance to any actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

Cover Design by Marianne Nowicki

Chapter 1 - No longer hidden

The first day he arrived I think everyone just loved him, it was almost instantaneous. At least I know I did. His honey blonde hair that always flopped endearingly over his face to the warm brown eyes that always sparkled cheekily. He was friends with everyone and seemed to consider everyone his friend. He even said hi to me on his first day, not that I responded.

As soon as everyone realised how fast he could run he was on the track team so I got to see a lot of him. He smiles at me everyday from across the canteen where I sit by myself. Or at least I like to think it's me he smiles at, I'm not really sure. It's been this way for the last six months since he first arrived.

I cannot bring myself to respond to him in all this time. For all the times he greeted me or smiled at me or encouraged me in my running, I have never been able to answer him. Today though is our first day back at school after summer and I'm hoping against hope that I can bring myself to say something, anything to him.

I walked into school head down looking at the ground. I heard the jeers coming my way so I marched along even quicker. I know I should be used to it but even how many years later it still hurt.

"Back off and leave her alone." I heard a growl from behind me and turned in surprise to find the guy I most wanted to see defending me. My heart swelled in response but I still keep walking.

"Hey Leena how was your summer?" He asked me as he walked beside me and I felt a little thrill go through me at the nickname he always called me.

My real name was Eileenia which was long and bizarre and because I was adopted I can't even ask what my name really meant. It was then I realised I hadn't answered him as usual.

"Hi Hayden." I whispered quietly and was surprised when he heard me.

"Now that wasn't too hard was it?" He almost cheered at me and I ducked my head down even further.

"I guess I'll see you down at the track later?" He asked and I gave him a small nod. He walked off and I glanced quickly up to watch him move away from me.

His blonde hair was shining in the sunlight and all I could do was sigh. I made my way over to my locker to store my stuff away before going to class. I doodled on my notebook as I waited for the teacher to arrive. The room got more and more boisterous which only made me feel more agitated.

"Right everyone settle down! First things first welcome back. Secondly whatever person you are sitting with will be the person you will be working with for the year so if you want this is your last chance to move." Our teacher told us firmly.