Chapter 6 - Moon Spirits and premonitions

I sat quietly in my new room and considered things as I stared out into the darkness. I was going to see my real mother soon and perhaps I could finally find out about the truth of my life. I still wasn’t sure how I felt about the whirlwind of activity that had been surrounding me recently.

I could still hear the murmurings from downstairs and I was glad to be alone with my thoughts. A gentle knock on the door sounded and I wasn’t sure if I wanted anyone to enter. Maybe it was Hayden. He was the only one that I would want to see.

“Who is it?” I finally asked.

“It’s just me, do you want some company?” Hayden called to me and I felt a rush of joy at just hearing his voice.

“Yes.” I said softly but like normal he heard me and opened the door. He paused in the doorway and peered through the darkness at me.

“Love why are you sitting in the dark?” He asked me but I didn’t answer “Have we finally thrown too much at you?” He asked me, his voice tinged with worry.

I shook my head but held out my hand to him. He approached me cautiously as I sat quietly listening to the chattering of nature that surrounded me. This had always been my favourite time, right as the moon rose and shone its silvery light down upon us. The moment when all the stars said welcome to the night sky. I heard a gasp from next to me and turned to see Hayden looking at me strangely.

“Well you are definitely her daughter, little Moon Spirit. Now I understand why you wanted your bed next to the window.” He told me and when I sent him a questioning look he just pointed to my hands.

I lifted one hand up only to notice it was glowing brightly.

I sat back in astonishment and stared at the offending limb as Hayden walked over to the bathroom and brought back my hand mirror. He passed it to me silently and I frowned but at his gesture I looked in the mirror.

My whole face glowed with an ethereal light and as the moon rose higher my face only seemed brighter. I glanced up at Hayden who was watching me with a look of overwhelming awe and wonder. He sat down on the edge of my bed and brushed a hand across my cheek with the most wonderful smile on his face.

“It is said that to kiss a Moon Spirit when the light of our mother is upon her is the most enchanting kiss one will ever have. Wanna test it?” He asked me cheekily while I just stared at him with no idea how to respond.

His fingers weaved into my hair as he lowered his lips to mine. EJHHUHe kissed me so softly and gently that I knew he had absolutely enchanted me. He pulled back with a smile and licked his lips before kissing me one more time like he almost couldn’t resist.

“Yep definitely the most enchanting kiss I’ve ever had.” He whispered to me as he touched his finger to my nose.

I felt my heart and stomach flutter crazily at his sweetly spoken words. He picked up the mirror and placed it on my nightstand as he lay down and pulled me down next to him. He wrapped his arms around me and I felt so safe and warm that I was asleep within a few minutes

I rolled over and woke slightly as I heard voices in my room. For a minute I couldn’t place them and I felt a little bit of fear shiver along my spine. But then Charlie’s comforting tone wafted into my ear and I sighed with relief.

“Oh look at our two sweet littlies.” I heard Charlie’s voice say happily.

“Well what do you know she is just like her mother.” Caden’s voice said in amazement.

“Hmmm a Moon Spirit.” Charlie chuckled softly “I sure hope Hayden’s ready for that.” I drifted back to sleep as I heard the click of the door close behind them.