Episode 2: The Lost Macleod Pt. 2 (The Great Swordsmith)

Okinawa, Japan

As the cold wind blows through the air and snow falls to the ground, Ashlyn Macleod ventures through the harsh climate of snow, fighting off the cold snap of breeze that has covered her body. Arriving at a mysterious temple, Ashlyn knocks on a giant door, which opens by itself to her surprise.

Walking inside the temple door, she is greeted by a man, dressed in a white robe, with long black hair and a beard that extended down to his chest. Smiling at Ashlyn, he invites her to sit with him and enjoy a freshly cooked meal.

"I see that your travels brought you here, Highlander. You are searching for answers, are you not?" the Bearded Man asks.

"Yes. May I ask who you are?" Ashlyn wonders, while The Man takes a bite of rice from his bowl.

"My name is Hattori Hanzo, pleased to meet you young Ashlyn Macleod of the clan Macleod," Hattori Hanzo says to Ashlyn's shock.

"How do you know my name?" she asks, bewildered upon Hanzo knowing who she is and where she is from.

"From your friends, Duncan and Connor Macleod. Like them, I have lived many lifetimes. And for you, young one, all I have to give you is my knowledge," Ashlyn looks at the swords hanging from the walls of the temple, amazed at the craftsmanship of each blade.

"But knowledge does not come easy, young Highlander, it must be earned..." upon hearing Hattori Hanzo's words, Ashlyn bows to him on her knees, uttering the words, "Teach me!"

Hanzo smiles, sliding a bowl of rice and a plate of fish towards her. Ashlyn begins to eat the food offered by Hanzo as if she has never eaten in many years.

"Such a big appetite! You must have traveled for a long period of time." Hanzo says to her as she continues to eat.

"Did you make this yourself?" Ashlyn asks with her mouth full of rice and chicken.

"Why yes, I did. Eat your fill, you are going to need it for your training." Ashlyn continues to eat, as Hattori Hanzo walks away into another part of his temple. While Ashlyn is eating her meal, Hanzo begins to smash his hammer against a heap of raw iron. Ashlyn hears this, but she pays no mind to it.

As night falls over the Okinawa skyline, Ashlyn lays asleep near a statue of a Samurai, while Hattori Hanzo continues to pound at the iron. The sound of the hammer hitting the metal awakes Ashlyn, disturbing her sleep.

She is not annoyed by this, but she is curious about what type of sword is being built. Sneaking over towards Hanzo's blacksmith section, she hides behind a rock to avoid being seen.

"It is okay young one, I was expecting you to wake up. Please have a seat." Ashlyn comes from behind the rock and she sits in front of Hattori Hanzo.

"How did you become a swordsmith?" Ashlyn wonders.

"I was once a great warrior, a Samurai in the shogun's army. After I was killed in battle, I came back to life. I was exiled from the Shogun's army and cast out into the distant land. I then met a man who called himself Masamune, he was just like me, immortal." Hanzo revealed.

"He taught me the art of sword crafting, along with many other things, like him I shall teach you more than what you have learned from your two fellow clansmen," Hanzo says to Ashlyn.

Two hours later, Ashlyn trains further with Hattori Hanzo on her swordplay. Showing great improvement, like a poetry in motion, Hanzo becomes more impressed by her quick learning. As he knocks her wooden sword out of her hand, he welcomes her to pick it up.

"The battle is never over highlander, until you have run out of breath, you still fight to the very end," Ashlyn bows to Hanzo and she slowly picks up her weapon, Hanzo attempts to attack her, but she quickly blocks with her sword and she flips Hanzo's sword out of his hand. Getting to her feet, Ashlyn points her sword at Hanzo, thinking she has him at a disadvantage.

"You have already lost," he said to her. Ashlyn goes for a quick strike, but like a dust in the wind, Hanzo takes her weapon and turns it against her. He stops at her neck, implying that he would have taken her head if they were actually fighting each other.

"Fight with your spirit, fight with your heart and the sword will follow!" Hanzo says to Ashlyn, who bows to him. For months among end, Ashlyn improved in her training, surpassing Hanzo in sword skill.

For her final test, Hanzo places a blindfold around Ashlyn's eyes, forcing her to trust her other senses beyond her eyes. As Hanzo moves around Ashlyn, she can hear his breathing coming from his lungs. She can even sniff out his scent of aura as he stalks her.

Hanzo tries to attack her, but Ashlyn moves to the right and she brings her wooden sword to his neck. Ashlyn takes off the blindfold, to the sight of an elated Hanzo.

"Well done Highlander! The sword now bonded with the spirit of its master. It can lead you to either heaven or hell," Hanzo then approaches her, making Ashlyn feel unnerved.

"Now, it is time. I will now give you my finest creation, a sword unlike any other I have crafted." Hanzo grabs a sword, with a black hilt and guard. The blade shines bright with immense power, as the light of the torch hits it.

"This is the Black Dragon sword, more powerful than any sword created before or after it. Virtually indestructible, created with titanium and the substance used for Duncan and Connor's blades." as Ashlyn touches the sword, she feels how light the sword is in her hands.

"Now, I must send you on your way, you have a long journey ahead of you. Remember, in battle, you must defeat your enemies, with heart, soul, and steel. Remember your training and never forget who you are." Hanzo says.

"Domo, master," Ashlyn replies, along with a solemn bow, before heading out of the temple, beginning her journey as an immortal.

Hey guys! What did you think of this chapter? Comment and let me know! Also, don't forget to hit that star to vote!

Also, I dedicate this chapter to another member of the Wattpad4 RebeccaSky. Thanks for just being amazing and your very helpful advice that I have taken with me on my writing journey!

Thank you for reading and I will see you soon!

Peace and Love