Episode 8: Bonded By Love, Broken by Blood

Kyoto, Japan 18th century

Wandering around in the snow, Ashlyn stumbles upon a young Asian woman sitting in front of a campfire trying to keep warm.

"Hello stranger, are you lost?" The Woman asks a shivering Ashlyn, suffering from the intense cold air.

"No... I'm just passing through..." Ashlyn says, shaking with cold.

"Do you care to join me? It would be best for you to keep warm with me." the Woman says. As Ashlyn sits next to the Young Woman, she feels safe around her. The Woman offers her some cooked fish, to which Ashlyn accepts.

"So stranger, who are you?" the Woman asks a fast eating Ashlyn. The Woman laughs as Ashlyn's face is stuffed with fish.

"Oh sorry! Where are my manners?" The Woman pardons Ashlyn, knowing that she was hungry. As she swallows down the fish she ate, she wipes off her face with a cloth. "I am Ashlyn Macleod of the clan Macleod, pleased to meet you miss..."

"Ying. I have heard about you highlander. Word of your travels, here in Japan, have been hopping around the land." Ying says to her.

"Why are you sitting out here in the cold? Don't you have a home to go to?" Ashlyn asks Ying.

"Yes, my home is actually nearby. I just came out here for a little relaxation. Luckily it's not snowing as heavily." Ying says while sipping some herbal tea.

"I know about your kind as well. You cannot die unless someone like you takes your head, along with your strength." Ashlyn looks at Ying, wondering how did she know of this.

"Sorry, I have been studying people like you that have appeared here in Japan." Ying explained. Ashlyn chuckles, finally finding someone she can be truthful with.

"Come, I must bring you to my home. You will be safe there." Ashlyn follows Ying through a path in the forest, which leads to a large temple filled with Samurai warriors.

"This is your home?" Ashlyn asks, appearing shocked.

"Why yes, this is my home. My people are all  Samurai, but they are very generous." Ying assures her. As they head into the temple, the Samurai suddenly stare at Ashlyn. The staring makes Ashyln uncomfortable, uneasy even.

"Why are they staring at me?" Ashlyn wonders.

"They never seen a foreigner in this land before." Ying tells her. Upon entering the temple, Ying shows Ashlyn her the shrine of her deceased father.

"This shrine was created in my fathers honor, he was a war hero, killing over one thousand men. But he was also a great man." Ashlyn looks at the shrine, appearing impressed by the many pictures of Ying's father.

"This is beautiful, I wish I had something like this for my father, he was also a war hero. He was a Highlander, one of the best fighters the scottish army." Ashlyn explained.

"How did he die?" Ying asked.

"Killed by an immortal, who was dressed in a black and red shroud. She also murdered my mother and she slew me as well. The violent death that I received, made me what I am now." as Ashlyn wipes a tear from her eye, Ying comes face to face with her.

"I am sorry, no child should lose a family in such manner." Ying said.

"Thanks..." says Ashlyn. Ying goes over towards the far end of the shrine, and she pulls out a golden katana.

"That is amazing, who crafted that blade you hold in your hands?" Ashlyn asks Ying, who holds the blade in her hands.

"A man by the name of Masamune, it was crafted with a gold titanium alloy and heated in one thousand degrees of flames. My father has stained it with the blood of the many people he has killed. Now, it rests here, with it's wielder." Ying says.