Chapter Thirty-Four

Aubrey

I woke up with a splitting headache. Throbbing. Dry mouth. Dry throat. My eyes didn't want to face the sun that beamed through the bay window. After a few minutes, I decided to go downstairs for some water and some aspirin to kill this shit.

I was still in my clothes from last night. The television was still on ESPN. Empty beer bottles were scattered along the floor. I don't even remember falling asleep. Damn, I must have drank a good bit.

My phone was still in the pocket of my sweats. I checked the time. 9:00 am. Why in the hell was I up so early? All of the bedroom doors were closed shut. The house was quiet. Everyone was still sleeping.

By the time I got to the foot of the stairs, someone was unlocking the front door. It swung open. Diana walked in. Her smile was bright. She wore sneakers, jean cut off shorts and a v neck shirt. Her long hair pulled back into a bun atop her head.

"Good morning, Aubrey!" she smiled, closing the door behind her.

"Morning," I replied groggily, massaging my forehead.

"Aww, what's the matter? You don't look too good," she dropped her things and ran up to me.

"Just a hangover. I'm fine," I said, "I was just going to the kitchen to get some water and medicine."

"No, no, no. I'm here now. You sit," she took my hand and brought me over to the couch, "lie down. I'll bring it to you."

"Diana, it's fine I can-"

"I insist. It's my job. Stay."

I sighed, with no energy to rebuttal,"Okay."

She propped a pillow on the arm of the couch for my head to rest on. I thanked her. She left and returned a few minutes later with a bottle of SmartWater, a glass of orange juice, toast and a bottle of ibuprofen.

She sat down on the edge beside me, giving me the pills first before opening the water for me. I downed half of the 32 ounce bottle.

"Here, have some toast to soak up some of that alcohol in your stomach."

I was expecting her to touch me. Her hand rubbed over my abdomen. I had forgot that I didn't put a shirt on before coming down.

I did as she asked. Whatever it took to get rid of this headache. She continued to rub my stomach and on up to my chest. Her cheeks flushed with a little redness.

I closed my eyes for a minute. The light was starting to bother me. I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Diana's head was turned in that direction, then back to me.

"Who's that?" I asked.

Before she could answer, I could see the top of Lisedi's head go by disappearing into what I assumed was the kitchen.  Seconds later she walked back through with a bottle of water in her hand; jogging back upstairs.

Once again, she looked unbothered by the fact that Diana was as close as she was to me.

"I'm gonna go get breakfast started before everyone wakes up," she stood up, "call me if you need me. Keep drinking that water."

I nodded before watching her walk away. I quickly turned my attentions to thoughts about my girlfriend. It was strange how she just walked past. No type of anger or anything.

I pulled out my phone from my pocket before taking a sip of water.

Aubrey: What's going on? Why aren't you talking to me?

An immediate response from her.

Lisedi: Someone else had your attention. Besides, last night you yelled at me because you wanted me to leave you alone. You got it.