Fast Food Friendship

Start from the beginning

"There's limitations to that power, though, correct?"

"Huh? Oh, if you're asking me to spill my weaknesses to you, then I'm afraid I can't do that, Shade." Skylor replied, wryly.

"Hm. Oh well. Never hurts to try." The dark-haired girl shrugged, opening the doorway back to the meeting room for us. "The others should either be back, now, or be coming back soon."

The others...

Free, just what was that alarm earlier? What did you go to do?

*~*

"This is taking a really long time, Shade, are you sure we shouldn't go checking on them?"

We'd trained for a few hours and we'd been waiting for another hour on top of that. My mission with Free didn't take nearly this long. Could they have gotten... captured?

But... who would be after the Kunoichi?

"Nobody's back yet and my shop should've been closed an hour ago." Skylor sighed.

Shade was silent for a moment, she was staring up at a cabinet in the kitchen portion of the meeting area.

"...that'd be fine. Hm maybe... a reward?"

"Everything okay, Shade?"

"Hm... you both worked really hard today." Oddly, her voice seemed to have a bit more energy than usual. "Would you like me to cook you both something?"

"C-Cook something?"

"Yes." She sighed to us both, as if the coldest and most distant of the Kunoichi hadn't just thrown out an uncharacteristically generous offer to us.

"It's not... poison, is it?" Skylor's blunt question shocked me but honestly, knowing Shade, I'd have to ask that too.

"And if it's not," I added, "Why would you want to cook for us?"

"Firstly," She sighed, a bit of dismissal in her otherwise emotionless voice, "As I said, you both worked very hard earlier. You showed me that I need to... restrain myself better in future battles." She punctuated this by restraining her somewhat messy, flowing hair into a surprisingly perfect bun.

"And secondly?"

"Wake'll be mad that I didn't cook for her, so if I poison you guys, then she won't care as much." She gathered a few pots and pans from the cabinet she had been staring so intently at, bringing them down to the sink, and filling them with water.

Aheh... so I guess their rivalry isn't as one-sided as I thought. Wake always makes jabs at Shade but... she just ignores them. I guess they might actually get under her skin from time to time.

"Wow, I guess you Kunoichi can do anything. Fighting, gathering intel, having sleepovers, and now cooking?"

"Yes, but... we're only human, after all." She sighed. "The Kunoichi are bad at things as well." Shade sighed, pulling a few ingredients from the refrigerator. "Well, not me."

I'd say she's pretty bad at um... not being extremely distant sometimes? I mean, other than that... Shade's pretty... perfect.