1

10th April 1912

9:30 am

Sam Winchester sat on the edge of his bed, nervously picking at the rough fabric of his blanket as he bags stood packed in the corner.

In his hand, he held the letter that he still couldn't believe was meant for him. In his other hand, he held a ticket for passage on the maiden voyage of the RMS Titanic herself.

"Sam? Are you ready?" Dean, Sam's older brother asked.

Sam knew Dean wasn't all that pleased that Sam was going on this trip, but who would turn down such an opportunity?

Their little brother Adam was peeking out from around the corner, his light brown hair that was identical to Dean's was sticking out in all directions.

"Of course, will you and Adam be all right while I am gone?" Sam asks, holding out his arms to his younger brother.

Little Adam ran up, his small hands grabbing onto Sam's shoulders as he was lifted up. Only 7 years old, Adam was actually able to go to school instead of working thanks to their uncle Bobby, who was paying for it since their parents had been killed.

Dean huffs, but lifts Sam's worn duffel bag and shoulders it. Sam grabs his trunk with one hand, holding Adam on his hip with the other. They walk out of the silent house to where the car sat waiting.

"Will you be gone long, Sammy?" Adam asks.

Sam shook his head, "I promise I'll only be in America for a short time, then I will come straight back here to you two."

"Promise?" Adam tilted his head.

"I promise, who else would I rather be with than you and Dean?"

Adam smiled toothily at this, letting Sam put him down as the taller man puts his trunk into the trunk. They all pile into the vehicle and Dean drives them to the harbour, a worried look in his eyes.

Adam all but fell out of the car excitedly as they pulled up near the large ship. His eyes were as large as saucers as he grabs Sam's hand and excitedly pointed up at the RMS Titanic. Dean used his hand to shade his eyes from the bright sun as he looked up at the ship and let out a low whistle.

"Wow Sammy, that sure is something."

"Are you going on that big ship!?" Adam asked excitedly.

"Sure am big guy," Sam ruffles Adam's hair, feeling a sense of bittersweetness as he crouches down. "I'll be back before you know it."

Standing up, Sam faces his older brother and smiles hesitantly. "I guess I'll see you when I get back," Sam plays with the strap of the duffel bag in his hand.

"Hey, Sammy," Dean placed a hand on his younger brother's shoulder. "Stay safe, alright? I know they call it the unsinkable ship for a reason, but there are also people you'll be dealing with and it's a whole new world over there..."

"I'll be fine Dean," Sam rolls his eyes at his brother's protectiveness. "I'm 21, not 12."

Dean chuckles, "yeah, well still, stay safe kiddo." Dean steps forward and pulls Sam into a hug, causing the taller man to drop his bag.

Wrapping his arms around his brother, Sam chuckles in return. "Maybe I should be telling you to stay out of trouble, jerk."

"Sure bitch."

A few people cast them looks of distaste at their choice of language, but for the most part, they were ignored, invisible in the thriving crowd.

Shouldering his duffel bag and lifting his trunk, Sam offers his brother's a half smile. "Bye guys, I'll see you in two months, and I'll contact you as soon as I get to New York."

Adam waved energetically, despite the brimming tears in his eyes. Dean was waving as well, half-heartedly as he continued to watch his little brother in worry.

Sam swallows nervously and turns away, melding into the crowd almost instantly as he makes his way to the boarding line. The people milling around him were loud, smoke drifted from the glowing ends of cigars, and children ran around waving flags.

Shouldering his way through yet another knot of people chattering excitedly about the launch. "I swear on my life I have never been so excited!" One well dress lady was exclaiming, her eyes bright.

Sam had to admit, it was exciting, and his heart filled with awe at the very sight of the massive ship that he would be spending seven days on. He was so distracted looking up at the Titanic that he failed to pay attention to where he was walking.

Sam collides with a golden-haired man dressed in workers clothing. The man stumbles back, almost falling over as he drops the tools he was carrying. They bounce on the cobblestone ground, the loud clattering masked by the loud voices around them.

"I'm so sorry!" Sam exclaims apologetically, crouching down to help the shorter man pick up the tools.

"Don't stress Moose," the golden-haired man winked at Sam, scooping the last of the tools up before thanking Sam quickly and running off to where his co-workers looked to be calling him.

Sam shook his head, straightening back up and grabbing his luggage again. Pursuing his lips, Sam glanced one last time at where the stranger was and decided he was certainly an odd man. But soon enough all thoughts of his weird run-in were soon forgotten, the golden-haired man put to the back of his mind as he got in line to board the Titanic.

Sam grinned widely as the line started moving, his luggage was put onto a cart which would take it to his room ahead of him. The line ambled forward and soon enough Sam was standing at the front, nerves finally touching his heart and making him feel slightly jittery as he glanced back into the crowds one last time before boarding. He couldn't see his brothers, not surprising given just how many people there were, but he did find himself making brief eye contact with the golden-haired stranger from before. Then he was ushered onto the gangplank, and Sam finally set foot on the RMS Titanic.

There were other passengers milling about, some trying to figure out where their rooms were and others were just admiring the ship's insides. Sam felt amazed, he really was here, on his way to back America for the first time in years.

Sam's room was immaculately clean, the walls were creamy white with dark brown trimmings. The floors were covered in a rich coffee coloured carpet that felt plush under his shoes. His trunk was sitting in one corner, and his duffel was resting beside it. All in all, it was a step up from his usual place in second class.

~~~