Chapter 6 ✔

ACE

I didn't think walking out of my abuser would be as hard as it was. After what my mom had said to me, I felt like there was hope to rebuild my relationship with them. I knew that if Kade wasn't there I wouldn't have been able to leave.

"It's quite a while until we get to my place, so how about we get to know each other more?" Kade asked, we had been on the road for roughly ten minutes.

"Well, you already know so much about me, so how about you tell me about you," I said turning to face him.

"Well, I went to college to be a teacher even though I have a job that I will have for the rest of my life. I live in a small private community, in a house that rooms two other families while there are multiple smaller houses surrounding it for other families in the community." He said calmly, keeping his eyes on the road ahead. My mind connected 'community' with cult right away, it made my stomach knot with worry.

"Why go to college if you have a job already?"

"I went to college because of my family, I lived in the same place my whole life. I was always told who I was going to be and how I was to do it. So, when I graduated, I decided to go to college, and make my own path. I knew in my heart that they were right, there is no escaping my fate. I guess I just wanted some freedom before living the rest of my life here."

"Who says there's no one else to take the job?" I asked.

"Sadly, I'm the only one who can do it. You see, it's a job that is passed down through my family. Always to the oldest." he responded as I yawned, "Why don't you go to sleep? We still have an hour until we get home. I'll wake you when we get there." He reached behind him and pulled out a jacket. He handed it to me and said I could use it as a blanket.

It smells like him. I thought happily while cuddling into the jacket while slowly falling asleep.

↫↬

When I woke up from sleeping like a rock, I was on a bed, wrapped in a blanket that smelled like Kade. It was fuzzy and warm, the feeling made me want to dig deeper into the bed and sleep forever.

I sat up and looked around the room, it was a pretty plain room. It was a lot like my old room, but this one had a nightstand on each side of the bed. The open window let in a gentle, calming breeze.

There was a soft knock on the door before it opened. "Oh good, you're awake," Kade said walking in and sitting on the bed with me. "Did you sleep well?"

I nodded groggily "Really well, this bed is so soft." He smiled at me, "Wait did you bring in my stuff by yourself? I'm so sorry, why didn't you wake me up?"

"You just looked like you needed to sleep, it's not that big a deal. Promise." He said, I gave him a suspicious look.

"Alright, fine. But I'm kinda hungry, could you show me the kitchen." I asked pulling the blanket off me.

I followed him out of the room and down the stairs. When I walked into the kitchen, I was tackled onto the floor by someone yelling in my ear, "So you're Ace! It's so nice to finally meet you! I'm Noah, Kade's best friend. We are going to be so close; I can't wait! I'm so excited!" A man said so fast that I couldn't understand him.

"Noah! Off!" Kade yelled while spraying Noah with water causing Noah to jump off me.

"What the hell Kade! I thought we said that you wouldn't be doing that anymore!" He yelled

"Ace, let's get you some food," Kade said while pointing to the counter, which made me walk over and jump onto it to sit. I watched as he started getting different ingredients and pans to make the dish.

After a couple minutes of watching his movements not knowing what he was doing, he held the spoon out to me. "Here try this,"

I slowly opened my mouth and licked the spoon. "Oh my god, Kade! That is yummy!" I said while reaching to take the bowl from his arms.

"Nope." He said pulling it away, "This isn't finished yet, you just be a good boy and sit there while I finish, okay?" He waved the spoon in my face as if he was threatening me with it.

I smiled and caught the spoon in my mouth. "Understood, Mr. Smith," I said after letting go of the spoon, once the food was off it.

"Oh my gosh! Guys that was so cute! You guys will make such a cute couple! Finally, Ka- Ack!" Noah stopped talking as Kade sprayed him with more water.

"Noah! Too much. Don't make me ban you from the kitchen again."