A Unknown Error

D/n= Dad's name
M/n= Mom's name
L/n= Last name
Y/n= Your name

Narrator's POV

Kingdom Hearts had been in development for several months and Square Enix has been working hard in order for it to be a game worthy of the time spent on it. And finally after all the time spent working on it, it was finally ready to go out to stores all around the world. The workers were celebrating after all their hard work and finally they can rest for the moment. They were having a party celebrating the games pre release, but two workers were concerned. (D/n) and (M/n) (L/n), and they are some of the creators of Kingdom Hearts.

"I'm sorry to bring your spirits down, but before we send this game to the public shouldn't we give it a full test run?" (D/n) asked quite concerned. "It might be a good idea since we worked tirelessly. This is a good precaution so that way the people can truly enjoy it." (M/n) continued from (D/n)'s statement. The rest of the workers thought about it, but dismissed it. The head of the company said "that it was not required as they tested everything before today."

After that the company closed for the night and everyone went home. All except (D/n) and (M/n). Even though the company didn't think it was required to do the test run, they wanted to do it just to be sure, and to give their 15 year old son (Y/n), the game before it launches in stores. They grabbed one of the copies of the game and turned on the PlayStation and inserted the game. While playing they took notes on what could be fixed in future updates and possible problems in the game. Then after a few hours they finished the game and deleted all their progress. They then placed the game into its package and wrote a note to their son.

They grabbed the game and went outside the building. But they couldn't leave, all the doors were locked. They tried using their key to open the doors but they wouldn't budge. "Huh? (M/n) were the doors locked when we first came in?" (D/n) asked. "No (D/n) they were all unlocked except the front and back entrances." Then the lights began to flicker on and off, moans and noises could be heard in the distance, until it stopped. Everything was back to normal. "What was that? A power line malfunction?" (D/n) asked. "I don't know dear. But if that was, then what were those noises?" (M/n) answered.

All of a sudden the lights began to flicker again and the noises got louder and louder. Then lights went out completely leaving (D/n) and (M/n) in the darkness. Small yellow lights began to shine in the darkness and they went closer and closer. "W-What's going on?!" They both yelled. "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!"

Three days later

The game was going to be released in two more days and people were getting anxious on its release. However the news was covering a story involving two workers from the Square Enix company. The workers (D/n) and (M/n) (L/n) mysteriously disappeared and the police were trying to find leads on their disappearance. However no clues have been found.

The son of (D/n) and (M/n) was devastated when he heard of their disappearance and since then he has been going though tough times in his school. People began to make fun of him about his parents not having the guts to be with their son or that they pride their work more than family. (Y/n) knew that wasn't true and tried to dismiss their comments. However their words pierce through his heart like a sword. He was doing worse in school and eventually in those three days, he disconnected for the real world and wanted to do anything to leave his world.

(Y/n) was at his home working on some homework assignments from school in his room. His room was filled with games from Square Enix, consoles, and posters from his favorite games. While working he thought if the police had found any leads on his parents. DING DONG! (Y/n) sprung from his desk and went to the front door hoping that the police had finally found a lead. When he opened the door he saw the mailman delivering a package.

(Y/n)'s POV

My eyes once filled with hope were now filled with disappointment and despair. "Hello are you (Y/n) (L/n)?" The mailman asked. "Yes. Yes I am." He nods and gives me a package. "Your parents wanted to give you this." My eyes widened. "R-Really?!" I asked enthusiastically. He nods. "Yup. All in need is your signature." He hands me a pen and I sign the paper. I give him back his pen. "Alright have a nice day." He then left.

I closed the front door and went back into the kitchen to grab a knife the open the package. I then went into my room and opened the package. When I opened it I saw a note from Square Enix. I grabbed the note and began to read it out loud.

"Dear (Y/n) we are so sorry for your parents disappearance and we found this package on the floor addressed to you. Your parents must have wanted you to have our recent game, and wanted to send it to you. Anyway we hope you enjoy the game and give us feedback so we may improve our products. Thank you and have a great day. Sincerely the Square Enix Team."

"Square Enix... seems like they care very little about my parents and more on their work." Even though they said they are sorry, I don't feel anything from their apology. I grabbed the game titled "Kingdom Hearts" and opened the case. Another note was inside, but this time it was from my parents.

"Dear (Y/n) we worked endlessly on this game and we are proud to tell you that it's finally done. We didn't have to courage to keep going, but your smile kept us going. We love you so much son. And no matter what, we keep you in our hearts. I hope you enjoy the game. It was especially made for you. We love you. Sincerely Mom and Dad."

After reading that note I felt tears run down my cheeks. "Mom... dad... I love you too." I hugged to note to my chest and placed it on my desk. I grabbed the game and put it in my PlayStation. I grabbed my controller and started the game. Right before it could start it had an error screen and it said "Due to an unknown error the system will automatically update and restart." After that the PlayStation began to pop up the update screen and began to update.

After a few minutes the update progress bar reached 75% complete. It was almost done. Then the screen went completely black. "Huh? Was their a power outage? I got up from my bed and went to my light switch. I flicked it on and the lights turned on. "No... that's odd then why isn't the PlayStation-" the PlayStation then turned back on with a title screen on. The tittle said "Kingdom Hearts" which was the tittle of the game. I sat back down on my bed and clicked start on my controller.

The screen went black and then showed some islands then the screen glitches and it went black again. "What the?" I went closer to the screen and tapped it. It didn't turn back on. Then I heard tapping. I looked around but nothing moved. I heard tapping again and it was coming from my screen. "Hello? Hello is anyone there?" I heard a voice coming from the screen then all of a sudden the screen turned back on, and a boy's face was on the screen. "WHA!" I got scared and jumped backwards falling down onto the floor. "Oh I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you!" The boy said.

I got up from the floor. "It's alright I'm fine." I said. I realized that is was the boy from the screen that was talking. I looked at him seeing his blue eyes, and brown hair. "Sorry about that." He rubbed the back of his head. "W-Who are you?" I asked. "Oh my name is Sora. What's your name?" Sora asked. "My name? My name is (Y/n). Wait why am I giving my name to a video game character?"

"A video game character? What do you mean?" Sora asked. "What do I mean? You're a video game character aren't you? Wait... this must be a dating sim." Sora tilts his head. "A... dating sim? What's that?" I was surprised. Does he know he's in a video game? "Um Sora do you know you're in a video game?" Sora shakes his head. "No... my world is real as your's." What does he mean by that? "Ah... you know what, forget what I said. Anyway it's nice to meet you Sora." He smiles. "It's nice to meet you to (Y/n)!"

"Sora who are you talking to?" I heard another voice in the distance. "Sora who's that?" I asked. "Oh! That's Riku. He's my best friend!" Sora said. "Sora? Are you listing to me?" I then see a boy with silver hair and turquoise eyes. "Sora who is this?" The boy asked. "Riku this is (Y/n). (Y/n) this is Riku." I wave at Riku. "Hello it's nice to meet you Riku." Riku waves back. "It's nice to meet you too."

After I met Riku and Sora I began to feel close to them despite being apart by a TV screen. I then met a girl named Kairi, and a boy named Lea. I also got close to them and I became friends with them all. Maybe this is why my parents wanted to get me this. So I can be happy and make friends. Thank you mom and dad. I hope you guys are okay and I love you so much.

Hey guys I hope you'll like this new book. I just got into KH and I love the characters so much. I hope you enjoy the story. Anyway be sure to Share, Comment, and Vote! See y'all later!