Chapter One: Dinner

I walk as delicately to my father as possible, so he won't suspect anything. The slightest movements makes him angry.

"Did you screw the pipe?"

I nod. I'm known for not talking much. I rarely talk unless needed to. It's just something I don't do.

"Good. Now go make dinner. Your mother won't be able to. She's so busy crying about your brother. The women never gets over things. That was years ago." He tells me taking another chug of his beer, and walking to the living room couch.

I don't dare take one step until his full body is sitting on that old dusty, beer stained couch. When his arms rest over the back of the worn couch, I gather pots and pans, and set the table. I will be making mushroom-cream noodles, with white cooked chicken, and a side of well chopped mixed vegetables.

By the time dinner is set, I wipe the grease off my face, and look at the time. Speaking of the devil, my dad walks in. This is the exact time when his duck dynasty show goes off.

"I didn't want chicken, I wanted steak. Why is it always what you want huh? Next time we eat steak!" My father says raising a hand at me, and I don't dare flinch, just look down at my feet, and blow out the smell of his sweat from info-training my air.

"I have something for you to do later. Tonight, when mother is sleep, you will come to the living room. Do you hear? And make no sound."

I nod, and sit in my seat at the table as dad calls mother. Her swollen face from all the tears looks hurtful, and she sits down. They exchange looks and start eating.

"So Anna. How's school?" My mother asks with a barley voice.

"Swell." I say with a low tone.

"Well, Anna how about we get you a new dress tomorrow? You can impress your friends?"

I nod, and play with my food. A napkin gets whipped at my hand and I look directly at my dad with a disgusted face.

"Eat your food. We work too hard for you to just stare at it!"

At the very moment I shove a fork full of noodles into my mouth and chew. I hate my father with a passion. He's my worse nightmare. When he's not drunk, it's like he pretends to be the best dad ever. I personally, still think he's a piece of shit.