Waters of Eden (10)

Shay's mind wandered over what could possibly be left of the vineyard. For a while, they could still see the smoke from the raging flames as it consumed the homes of those she once knew. She had never been close with the others, but that wasn't the issue. Shay couldn't get her mind to stop replaying the same thought over in her head.

    I'm the reason they're dead.

    If she had just stayed out of view, had just stayed in her room like she was told to, Evander never would have sent those soldiers. Never would have killed those people. Those children.

    Emory hadn't even said a word since they left Waektown. They had been riding all morning, and it was already passing noon. They had left Waektown in a rush, at a breakneck pace that left the horses in pain and hesitant to go on. But the Daughter of Rosalind insisted, and the Daughter of Rosalind comfort them.

"Ingrid, are you sure we're heading in the right direction?" Emory sighed, shifting awkwardly so that her hips weren't locked in the same position. She had ridden horses before, but never for this long. She could feel her eyes falling shut, and had thought about handing the reins over to Shay for just a little bit while she slept, but didn't want to risk her taking them all the way back to the vineyard. Or whatever was left of it.

Ingrid didn't say anything, but stopped her horse. She also hadn't said much last night, and the girls could see that she was deep in thought. Emory stopped at her side and Shay finally said something. "Where are we even going?"

"We're going to Lake Eden. I just... I'm worried Evander will have people there." Ingrid tucked her own curls behind her ear and wiped the dirt that was gathering on her face. The dirt of the trail was being kicked up onto them all morning, and it left them covered in grime.

The sound of Lake Eden made both of the girls perk up. They hadn't been there since they were kids. At least, Emory hadn't. Shay hadn't been there since she was born. Emory was able to visit a few times with Caretaker Magda as a way of ensuring Rosalind would allow her to work with the Prophet. The waters were said to be the birthplace of Rosalind, and the lifesource of Eden. The lifesource of everything. "Do you really think he would do that?"

"After what he did to the vineyard? Yes. I think he would." Ingrid looked away, her voice wavering. "We should really keep going, though. We can stop a little ways away and scout from there." Ingrid huffed, gathering the strength in her voice once more.

Emory nodded, but Shay didn't seem satisfied. She turned back towards the path, and crossed her arms, letting her eyes fall to the horse in front of her. "If anyone is going to get in Lake Eden first, it will be these horses. Barley and this poor thing have already pushed themselves far for us."

"I can agree with that," Emory chuckled as she leaned down and pat the horse. "What should we name her by the way?"

"You're confident it's a girl?" Ingrid couldn't help the small smile that came to her lips. Trouble or not, as least the two of them had remained kind.

"Well, not exactly. Don't you think it would be cute though if Barley got a partner out of this? Then, we could have baby Barleys. I would love it." Emory barely touched her foot to the horse's side and it moved forward, Barley following close behind.

"GIrl or boy, I think the name Freckles would be cute. Or Quinn." Shay pointed to the speckled horse, its reddish coat covered in brown spots.

"You don't think it's rude to name a horse after a girl?" Emory grimaced but Shay only laughed.

"Fine, I guess Freckles will do."

"Freckles it is, then," Ingrid finished. "The mighty duo of Freckles and Barley."