Arrows (12)

Emory had fallen asleep by the time they stopped. The bags were pulled off of their heads, and she saw that they still hadn't reached the castle yet, but were in a much different part of Eden. The land was flatter, and the tree line was in the distance but everything between where they had set up camp and there was nothing but wild grass, brush, and a few trees. If they were heading to the castle, they weren't taking the most direct way.

    "Eat up."

    A sack of food was thrown down in front of Emory and Shay, and they both jumped as it hit the ground. Shay looked up to the man who had tossed it before them and rose her hands up, brandishing the rope around her wrists. He laughed and shook his head. "You can manage. It's just cheese and bread."

    Shay sighed, but reached for the bread. Emory followed, looking over at her with concern. "How are you holding up?"

    "What do you mean?" Shay managed to grab a small roll of bread and took a bite out of it, as if she weren't concerned about the rest of the situation.

    Emory shrugged but followed suit and grabbed some food. "You've just been... I don't know. You've been through a lot more these past few days than you have ever been at the vineyard. I wanted to make sure you were okay." Emory kept an eye on her as they ate, and Shay shrugged. "I see you've given up on politeness, too."

    Shay scoffed and looked over at Emory, her face contorted with frustration or anger, but Emory couldn't tell which. "Why does that matter? No one else seems to care."

    "Just yesterday you were scared of being around others-"

    "Just yesterday a whole town was burnt down. Because of us, Emory. Have you ever stopped to think that I'm sick of being the burden of everyone and having to be protected at other people's costs?"

    "This isn't a good time for arguments. Forget I asked." Emory leaned back, turning her body away from Shay.

    Shay rolled her eyes. Emory was the only one allowed to ever be in a mood. If it were Shay, she was being unreasonable. She was being naïve. She wasn't being the Prophet of Rosalind, she was being a child. A few seconds passed before Shay broke the silence.

    "I'm not a child."

    Emory didn't say anything, but turned back towards her, holding out her hands. "Pray with me." Shay hesitated, but sat down her food and wiped the crumbs for her hands. As she was reaching for Emory's hands, she noticed that a few of the raiders were watching them with curiosity, and one even seemed to have his head bowed in prayer with them.

    "I pray to you my true mother, Rosalind, for protection. Rosalind, I pray your rich soil and abundant fruits never fade, for they offer me life. I pray you let your warmth fall over us all, and show us the way to your arms. To you, I pray," Shay finished the prayer and heard Emory mutter it beneath her breath, along with several of the raiders. Shay smiled and nodded to them, but then turned away from Emory once more and continued eating. "Real food is sounding better the more I think about it."

    The few hours they spent taking a break were quiet, and by the time they got packed up to move again Emory had managed to slip her hands out of her binds. She held the rope strategically around her wrists to make it seem like she was still captured, but as soon as a raider leaned down to help her up, Emory lifted her legs into the air, wrapping them around his neck and dragging him to the ground. Flailing, he tried to reach for his knife but Emory grabbed it before he could and pointed it to his temple.

    The other raiders prepared their own weapons, but no one advanced. Camtono watched Emory with interest, not even grabbing for the sword at his waist. "You really think you can take us on?"