Long Live (21)

Sneaking into the castle was easier for them than they expected. There weren't many guards out and about, but moving through the halls with as many people as they were made everyone more nervous. Emory was with Ingrid and Aila, while Cassius had agreed to go with Aila's people. Her group was moving towards the throne room, taking the secret passages all throughout the castle to get as close as possible without walking through the main hallways while Cassius and the others were doing the same, but moved through the hallways. They were supposed to be in charge of taking out any soldiers, or at least neutralizing them.

With each passage that brought the women closer, Cassius and the soldiers waited for them in the halls that they appeared in to escort them to their next passage. There was no one passage that lead directly to the throne room. They were nearing the end, though.

"We're getting close. Just a few turns and we're there. Are you guys ready for this?" Cassius helped each woman out of the passageway, and looked to Emory, whose determined look faltered at his words.

She just waved for everyone to continue, and they did so. Briar followed her daughter, her own heart racing at the thought of facing her father again. Everything needed to go right. The witch took a deep breath and looked over to her daughter. "Just remember, Emory, I can take care of Evander. Don't try anything. "

"I won't. Just like the plan, right?"

"Right."

As they came to the throne room, they could hear voices inside, low and steady. Guards were not at the door, and the door itself was wide open. Everyone hurried to the side of a wall, quietly so as not to give themselves away. The speaking continued. "... word is out I'm sure there will be no resistance to worry about, I believe. Your people have protected you for a decade, and I'm sure they will have no worries about you taking over the way they finally wanted you to. It will just take about six or seven months before you can ascend to the throne. During that time, we will spread word, reopen the areas I closed-"

"We must ensure that there are plenty of Tellers to spread the Prophet's word. And we'll need a new Head Caretaker, as well as other caretakers." It was Shay. She seemed calm, although slightly disappointed. "Have you found her yet?"

"No, she's still hiding. I've let the Commanders know that the search is off for now, until the announcement has been made." Evander spoke, and then sighed. "We'll need a new High Commander, too. Commander Linus insisted it be him-"

"That will not happen," Shay said with anger clear in her voice. Emory smiled and continued listening. Shay continued after a heavy sigh. "How many commanders are there?"

"Seven. One for each of the Lords and Ladies in Eden, Princess."

"Six not including Linus, then. It shouldn't take too long, I suppose."

Cassius grabbed Emory's attention from the other side of the door, and gestured as if to go inside, but Emory shook her head. She wanted to hear more. It almost sounded as if everything was perfectly fine. There was no talk of marriage, no threat of physical harm. Then, Evander opened his mouth once more. "Princess, is it true that there were Unholy in the Jynwood with you?"

"Yes. We had come across them, and their leader healed Emory's wound. They were here for diplomatic reasons."

"Being?"

"They wanted to escort me here, so we could talk. Which has already been done. Once the announcement is out I'm sure there is no need to worry," Shay spoke, but Emory could hear the nervousness in her voice. She had always been bad at lying.

"They wanted something in return, correct? Restored trade perhaps?" Shay said nothing in return. "Well, once the announcement is out they will discover that's no possibility. Our contract says so."