Chapter 27

I step out of the truck two hours after leaving London, jumping onto the muddy ground before glancing around at the dark woodland in front of us

I step out of the truck two hours after leaving London, jumping onto the muddy ground before glancing around at the dark woodland in front of us. It seems eerily quiet, which I find strange considering the fact we've turned up in five trucks, every single one of them loud enough to break the silence of the South as soon as their engines were turned on.

Numerous people from London are pouring out of the vehicles, absolutely no care given to how much noise they make. Jordan instantly looks on edge, Myles' jaw tensed as Emilia sticks as close to me as she can, eyes darting between the various people before glancing back at the silent tree line. I wouldn't be surprised if any Slayers jumped out in front of us, my hand constantly on my gun, not daring to let it go even once.

Maybe it's the sheer volume of us which is why none of them seem bothered by what we're doing. We're acting as a repellent to any Slayers and that is all that brings me comfort. There hasn't been a single shred of peace inside me ever since those iron gates opened back in London, the trucks leaving that compound and sending us back out into the real world. And what a shit world it is.

"We'll continue on foot from here," Callum announces from the front of the group before pointing to his right, straight into the trees. His buzzing population nod before trailing after him, leaving the vehicles behind as five drivers hop back inside to return the trucks to London.

Our entire group hangs back, Heidi, Myles, Anna and Sam included as the others disappear into the trees. I take a deep breath, inhaling the fresh air before looking around at the familiar group of faces as Emilia moves away from me.

Heidi lays her head against Emilia's, visible tears in her eyes as she blinks rapidly. Bridget and Anna are holding hands, a sight that's so foreign to me that I almost fall backwards. Sam flings his arm around Emilia's spare shoulder as we all look around at one another.

There's darkness in the air, and it isn't just from the shadows that emerge from the trees. The clouds in the sky are looming over us, the weight of the entire damn world on our shoulders as we face the brutal reality of separating.

Jordan steps forward from behind me, slapping his hand onto my back and grinning.

"One last trek?" he says to the group. Anna instantly laughs, stepping forward and wrapping her arms around him.

"If you think you're getting rid of me that easily, you're wrong," she exclaims. "It's not our last trek. I'll be back with you guys in no time."

"Or, maybe you could just stay away?" Bridget teases and Anna laughs, the rest of the group following suit.

"One last trek," I agree with Jordan, looking across at Emilia.

"One last trek," she says slowly, nodding as she turns, Heidi and Sam both gripping her hands as they slowly start to walk after the now disappeared group. Myles follows close behind with Bridget and Jordan both chuckling to each other as they step away.