Chapter 40

I let out a wheezy, pained groan as the same knee that has been kicking me for the past half an hour makes contact with my stomach once more

I'm almost numb to the pain now with no idea how long I've been stuck down here. The surrounding stone is dark, walls dripping with damp and the floor freezing with cold, shocking me every single time I drop. It's a dungeon. There's no other explanation.

My first experience of Gia's mansion has been no different to what I could have ever expected. It's hardly like she was going to welcome me like an old friend?

After all, I did shoot her in the leg nearly two months ago. I wonder how she's recovering...

I haven't seen her once, with only a few smug Enforcers keeping me company, but it doesn't matter. I know that this is her doing. I know I'm beneath the mansion. I'm certain of it.

The alternatives don't bear thinking about.

The Enforcer in front of me moves backwards, another quickly stepping around him and raising a fist, not even pausing before he slams it into my face. My head jerks back as pain splits through my cheek and beneath my nose, my eyesight blurring from impact. The chains that are holding me up against the wall clang together from the action and I grimace at the noise. My arms are tired, my feet almost giving way beneath me.

Giving me no time to recover, another hand catapults through the air towards my face. Stars dot across my vision and blood rings in my ears. I'm well aware that I, most definitely, have a concussion from the hours of torture. There's blood drips and pools on the disgusting ground, right next to my feet.

I grit my teeth at them, forcing myself to smile through the pain. I probably look insane, blood coating my teeth as I smirk at them, cocking my head to the side and daring them to continue. The Slayers have destroyed every survival instinct that used to exist inside me.

Now... now, I'm out for blood. Just wait until I finally get my hands on a knife. They won't know what's hit them. Especially if Zac finds out...

I suck in a breath at the thought.

No matter what I do or how many times I try, I can't keep my mind away from Zac.

He's upstairs. Probably.

I wonder if he knows I'm down here...

What a stupid question, Emilia.

If he knew, he'd be down here within half a minute, furiously battering his way into the cell, fighting his way through Enforcer after Enforcer and leaving death and destruction behind. I'd be out of here within minutes, his sister discarded — murdered by her brother's hands.

He's none the wiser to my predicament, which means it's completely up to me to get myself out of here. 

I can't risk ruining his cover. After all, why the hell would Gia take me if it wasn't to test his loyalty at some point?