Chapter 18

"That's fine," Zac snaps, wrapping his hand around mine and turning, beginning to pull me back towards the exit

"Wait! No, Zac!" Poppy calls as I yank on Zac's arm, urging him to stop and hear his sister out. "Callum!"

"Rules are rules, Pop."

"He's my brother!"

"And you're his sister. It works both ways."

Zac stops at the intimidating leader's words, turning back and letting go of me. His eyes are blazing as he steps towards the huge, hulking figure of Callum. "Do not proceed to act like you fucking know me. You don't know the shit that all of us have gone through."

"I'm sorry," Callum replies. "But that isn't my problem."

"Tell me again why we should stay here?" Zac scoffs, turning back to us, his face twisted in anger.

"Because-"

"Nope," Anna interrupts Heidi. "I agree. Let's get out of this shitstorm."

"What? No!"

"Let's go." Zac grabs my hand, nodding his head at the uncertain looking Jordan.

"Zac!"

"Where are you going? Callum, please!" Poppy's cries are echoing down the corridor, my heart wrenching for her.

My brother is dead, but I know that if I ever happened to stumble across him, I wouldn't want him to walk away from me either.

"Stop!" I exclaim, pulling my hand from Zac's and digging my feet into the ground. "What's wrong with all of you? I get it... we've been trodden on more often than not, we don't trust anyone after what we've been through," I say. "But we're being offered a safe place here. Somewhere to stay... even if only for a few days," I remind them. "I've spent nine days walking from the fucking wall to this damn city, and you're all having a fucking laugh if you think I'm just going to turn around and walk straight back."

"Em-"

"No," I cut Zac off and shake my head. "We won't make it ten miles. None of us have rested properly in months!"

"She's right," Anna pipes up, relatively quiet. "If we go back out there... we're kind of asking to be killed."

"We're doing the same thing by staying here," Jordan retorts and I shake my head.

"We don't know that," I reply.

"I don't trust you," Heidi says outright to the tall leader and he shrugs.