11

The young witch looked dumbfounded and was grateful when Severus put his arm around her waist to steady her.  "But I still don't understand" she said, her brow deeply furrowed. "What is it telling us? It can't be foretelling the future as my parents are dead.  So is it some kind of wish?"

Severus who had been fairly quiet up to now led the young witch to the settee and sat her down and took her hands in his.  "The Revelator, like the Mirror of Erised, allows you to see how you'd like your future to turn out - your deepest desires.  Whilst we never realised it when our paths crossed many years ago during your time at Hogwarts, the stars conspired for us to be together.  We were destined to be soul mates from the beginning but just had to find each other, which we now seem to have done." He smiled at her and kissed her head.

"No!" Said Draco for once being incredibly serious.  "That's too easy.  It doesn't explain why we could all see your parents.  And why would they know about your children - the children that you don't currently have? What would that achieve? It's got to be more than that."

"You're right Draco" said Harry "Don't you see Hermione?  You have to go back!"

"Go back?" Go back where? To the cottage?"

Harry shook his head "No Hermione.  Back in time.  Back to the end of the Hogwarts battle. You can stop your parents being killed.  You can fall in love with Professor Snape and you can have kids and only then will your life be able to progress.  Otherwise your parents are going to be caught in some kind of limbo forever more.  It's your destiny."

"But how? Is the mirror a kind of time machine?"

"No...well yes....kind of." Harry scratched his head again "It's a vessel to take you back but only alongside a number of complicated charms and a potion that is so intricate I think only Severus would be able to attempt it."

Severus stood, visibly paled "Then if Hermione goes back, we all go back?" The thought of returning to the times he'd so desperately tried to eradicate from his brain filling him with dread.

"Yes" nodded Draco "but I don't think we'll realise we're back or that we were ever here.  We'll just accept it as the 'now'. I just hope I like you guys next time round!"

"Just stop being an arsehole back then and we'll be ok" chuckled Harry, and Draco playfully clipped him around the head.

"How long will it take you to make the potion Severus?" Asked Harry "I've had a brief look and never heard of half the ingredients."

"It's very complex. A Skein of Romania Ridgeback gut isn't something I can just 'pick up' from an apothecary. Neither is Morphophallus Titum. That plant hasn't been found in nigh on one hundred years. I've some contacts who may be able to help but it won't be easy and if I were to hazard a guess I'd say a month at least. And I'll have to find a Potions Laboratory to work from. I can't make this in a kitchenette.  Spinners End is just not habitable at the moment."

"Perhaps Minerva will let you have your own chambers back at Hogwarts?" Chipped in Hermione "If she knows what it's for and what's at stake?"

Severus nodded "Loathe as I am to return to that place it would certainly make sense.  But I'll need your help Hermione.  Someone needs to oversee the pre-preparation while I source the ingredients."

Hermione nodded in agreement.  "I'll have to speak to Kingsley and make sure I can take the time off as a sabbatical; it shouldn't be a problem as I've several weeks holiday accrued."  She then turned to Severus.  I'm so sorry" she said forlornly, cupping his cheek in her hand in a gesture of tenderness "I was meant to be helping you look for somewhere to open your Potions apothecary.  With all this going on I'd completely forgotten."

The wizard smiled at the young witch and took her hands in his.  "It's of no importance" he said "If this potion works and you successfully return to the last day of the war, then my future will change just like yours.  The past few years of my....of our lives.... will have changed irrevocably and I may not be in need of a Potions business.  Who knows?"

"Right" Said Harry interrupting "I've got to get back to Ginny and the kids before she thinks I've abandoned them but I'll speak to you soon. I'm sure Minerva will be happy to welcome you back to Hogwarts even if you won't be teaching." He shook Severus' hand.

Hermione hugged her friend. He truly was one in a million and she was so happy he was in her life. "Thanks Harry, for everything" she kissed his cheeks and hugged him once more. She then hugged and kissed Draco. "Thank you Draco"

"Well I've not really done anything" he grinned "it was all Golden Bollocks here" he pointed at Harry "But if you need anything, just let me know. Now" he said turning to Severus "I've got to finish off some work then I've got a hot date with a wizard named Ian from accounts and I don't wish to keep him waiting. See you soon Godfather." He gave Severus a quick hug and turned to leave the chalet with Harry. Severus stood open mouthed until the two had apparated away.

"Did you know Draco is.... gay?" He asked with such a tone of amazement that Hermione could only laugh.

"Of course" she said reaching up on top toe to kiss her wizard. "I thought everyone did?"

"Clearly not."