8

The next morning Severus woke early as usual and blinked awake, shaking off the grogginess of restless night's sleep. The storm had taken away some of the heat and the air was no longer as oppressive as it'd been of late but this didn't stop the Wizard from lying awake thinking about the day's events and especially the young witch asleep upstairs. His body ached with a need so intense it hurt just to think of her. He wanted to make her his in every sense of the word but he was plagued by self doubts.  He knew there was a sizeable age gap between them and he could be difficult to live with. He didn't see himself as good looking and he was sure she could find someone far better suited to her needs than him but he wanted to be selfish and claim her all for himself.  The thought of having a family was not something he'd seriously considered in the past but to father children to Hermione Granger? He could think of nothing better. 

In her own room Hermione was thinking about Severus.  Even in the short time she'd got to know him as a man rather than an ex school master she realised that she was falling for him.  When he was near she felt a sensation of completeness and safety, but also excitement and arousal.  She'd had relationships in the past but not one of these paramour's had made her feel like he did.  If the ageing couple professing to be her parents were correct in their prediction then she felt a thrill of excitement knowing he may become the father to their future children.

****************

Harry Potter knocked at Hermione's door at approximately nine thirty a.m and greeted her with a hug and a sheepish grin.  "I was having coffee with Draco when your owl arrived so I've brought him too - hope that's ok?"

"Of course" smiled Hermione "Come in the pair of you."  She shouted to the back of the chalet "Severus, Harry's here and he's brought your Godson."

Severus walked out of the kitchenette with a tea-towel hung casually over his shoulder.  "Aaah look." He said with a raised eyebrow "It's dumb and dumber".  Hermione laughed.

"Don't be rude Severus.  Harry and Draco may well be able to help us!"

"Yes Godfather" laughed Draco "Don't be a git."  Harry leant forward and smiling shook hands with Severus.

"Long time, no see"  Harry said, looking over his old Professor astutely "You're looking well"

"As are you Mr Potter.  How is Ginevra and the Potterlets?" He replied not unkindly.  Many years had passed and much water under the bridge had washed away any once ill feeling the two had towards each other.  Both now regarded the other as an equal and Hermione, who had watched the exchange with interest, breathed a small sigh of relief.

"They're all well.  Thank you sir. James Sirius is 9 now and has a natural ability for Quidditch and Albus Severus is 4 and is a right sod.  Little Lily is 9 months so we have our hands full!"

Severus nodded "And you became an Auror as was your predilection?"

"Yes, I've been an Auror for about ten years but have been asked by Minerva to come to Hogwarts to teach from September"

Hermione stopped in her tracks when she heard Harry's news. "You didn't say! Are you going to take the position?"

Harry nodded along with his best boyish smile "Well Gin and I had to think for about ten seconds before we said 'yes' - Ginny's been offered a part time post as Flying Instructor as Madame Hooch has retired, which suits us all. We can still live at Grimmauld and commute."

Hermione flung herself on him with a little scream, much to his surprise and Severus and Draco's amusement. "That's brilliant news." She said "I always thought you belonged at Hogwarts. That's Wonderful Harry."

Just then Draco cleared his throat. "I don't wish to break up this love fest but isn't there a reason for Potter and I to be here? I've still got some work to finish off in Wales but Potter said you sounded desperate and I knew he couldn't cope on his own..." he winked at Harry, who smacked him over the back of the head.

"Yes.  Come in and sit down both of you."  The young witch motioned for them to take a seat on the small sofa. She turned to Severus who had come to stand next to her and slipped his arm around her small waist.  Harry noticed the intimate gesture but said nothing.  "Can you explain what happened Severus? I'm not sure I can get my head round it even now."

"Yesterday Hermione and I went for a walk into the village but we decided on taking in a more scenic vista and went over the hill at the back. A small thatched cottage came into view - one which Hermione swears she'd never seen before - and an  elderly couple were tending the garden"

"The couple turned out to be.....be my parents" interrupted Hermione "At least they looked like them but an older version. About fifteen or so years older than I remember.  They knew everything about me.  About me and Severus.  They even spoke as if we had children together".

"Uncle Severus, you dog!" Laughed Draco.

"Shut up Draco" spat Severus "idiot"

"You don't think it was the heat?" Asked Harry after a couple of minutes pondering on what his friend had just imparted.

Hermione shook her head and looked up Severus and then back at Harry "We both witnessed it Harry.  We had afternoon tea with them.  They even asked about you and Ginny.  That doesn't sound like a heat haze does it?"

"No.  No it doesn't"

"Any ideas Harry? Draco?" Asked Severus turning from one to the other.

Both shook their head.  "We should go and see if it's still there" Said Draco, standing up from the sofa and helping himself to one of Hermione's apples and taking a huge bite.  "We can't possibly begin to understand it if we don't see it for ourselves."