2

If Hermione was surprised to see her ex Professor she didn't show it and she soon had both men sat relaxing on sun loungers, enjoying a cool beverage.  Hermione smiled inwardly as she watched her guests.  They clearly got on well and shared a mutual respect for each other; and were deep in conversation when Hermione joined them.  Severus, she noted, had been quite animated whilst talking to Draco but as soon as she sat down he reverted to his quiet, withdrawn and brooding self. 

"So how are you enjoying being back in England, Professor?" She asked, trying to draw him into conversation. 

"It has it's..... advantages" he responded cryptically, and did not elaborate further.  Sensing a slight awkwardness in the air, Draco stepped in and continued the conversation.

"Are you here just for the weekend Hermione?"

"No, I've next week off work so I thought I'd take advantage of the incredibly great weather and come down. It's stifling back in the city and and at least we've a sea breeze here." She stretched out languidly on her lounger and closed her eyes to the cornflower blue of the sky. "I could happily stay here for the whole summer" she sighed.

"It is lovely" replied Draco, finishing his beer and reaching in the cooler for another. "What do you think Severus?"

Severus was also laid back on his recliner but unlike Draco and Hermione who were both dressed in light coloured shorts and cotton tops, he wore a heavy pair of black trousers and a white long sleeve lawn shirt, albeit with the sleeves rolled up to mid forearm and the first two buttons undone at the chest. Hermione thought muggle clothing actually suited him. She found him looking at her with the intensity of a falcon watching a shrew.

"Exquisite" was his clipped response, his eyes never leaving hers. Hermione felt herself flush under his scrutiny and eventually managed to look away when a fluttering noise and the arrival of a large tawny owl sat down on the end of Draco's lounger.

"Oh great" he frowned, retrieving the roll of parchment from the offered leg of the bird.  "I bet mother's inviting me to Sunday lunch.  Just what I need listening to her and my father relive the ... er... 'ins and outs'... ewwww....of their 'second honeymoon' in all its gory detail."  He read the note and visibly paled.  "Fuck!" He muttered.

"What is it Draco?" Asked Severus, sitting up. Draco looked at Hermione.

"Urgent Ministry business I'm afraid.  I'm going to have to leave you.  There's been an explosion in some Ministry owned cottages in North Wales and I'm needed.  I'm really sorry.  Severus will stay and keep you company, I'm sure?"

Hermione inwardly groaned.  The last thing she wanted was to be left alone for the weekend with her cantankerous and monosyllabic Ex Potions Professor.  She stood, gave a brief nod to Severus, who had continued to remain silent, and hurried after Draco who went to use the lavatory before he left.

"Draco!" She hissed behind him.  The blond wizard turned in his tracks and she bumped into him. 

"I know you fancy me Granger, but I thought you realised you're just not my type" he winked and grinned.  Hermione snacked his arm.

"You can't leave me here with Professor Snape!" She whined "Can't you take him with you?"

"Oh come now Granger.  My Godfather's not that bad.  He's quite good company when he relaxes.  I don't want him rattling around my place on his own and mum and dad aren't really in the position to be putting up houseguests - if you get my drift. He bent down and kissed Hermione on the cheek.  "You'll be fine.... talk about potions or something."  He went into the bathroom and by the time  he came out Hermione was still hovering.  He shook his head laughing and strode past her with his weekend bag collected and stood next to Severus.  "Hermione is a bit shy to ask but she'd be really happy if you stayed" he met Hermione's glare with a devilish grin and twinkling eyes.

Hermione, knew when she was beaten, fixed her best smile on her face and turned to her old teacher.  "Yes" she said, with hidden ice under her smile "you're more than welcome.  I'm sure we'll get on like a house on fire"

Draco bent over and kissed Hermione again and gave her a quick hug and turning to Severus who had stood up by now, shook his Godfather's hand.  Then he apparated with a 'pop', leaving the two in silence.  Hermione stood for a few seconds and watched the void where he had been.  She then turned to Severus.

"Shall I order a pizza?"

"Thank you" he replied with a slight smile.

"It's ok" she grinned "it's only pizza"

"No" he said "I meant thank you for allowing me to stay."

Hermione nodded. "you're welcome" she replied, most surprised by his sudden tone and suddenly drawn to the depth of his eyes again.  "Can I get you another drink before I order?  What toppings do you like Professor?"

"Seeing as I am no longer your, or any body's 'Professor' I think you should desist from addressing me so.  Please call me Severus."

"May I call you Sevvy?" Asked Hermione cheekily, opening another bottle of wine and pouring him a glass.  Severus raised an eyebrow.

"Not if you expect me to answer" he replied, taking the glass she offered, his fingers lingering on hers for slightly longer than one would expect "And I like Ham and Mushroom on my pizza."