1

Hermione Granger flopped down on her settee with a loud exhale of breath, kicking off her shoes.  She'd  dumped her briefcase by the front door and thrown her suit jacket on the bottom of the banisters.  It was a very hot Friday in July and her intense workload at the Wizengamot had left her in dire need of a cooling drink and a much needed catch up with some of her friends. She decided to floo Ginny and Harry to see what they were doing.

Ginny answered Hermione's floo call with a face smudged with flour, with the young master Albus Severus Potter sitting on her back, arms around her neck, 'piggy back style' and the unmistakable cries of a young infant, Miss Lily Luna Potter making herself heard in the background. Ginny grinned at her friend.

"Watcha Hermione! What's up?"

"Auntie Mynee!" Shouted Albus with glee.

"Have I called at a bad moment?" Laughed Hermione, over the din of the Potter's household "I was wondering if you might be able to get a babysitter for tonight and join me down at the Beach House for a few hours?" The Beach House was Hermione's seaside chalet situated on the South Coast near to Bournemouth. Once the retreat of Jean and Robert Granger, they had willed it to the young witch upon their demise during the last Wizarding War. It had taken Hermione a couple of years to bring herself to visit the place but once she managed to walk over the threshold she realised she enjoyed the peace and solitude of the little chalet and the happy childhood memories it held.

"Pffffft!" Replied Ginny. "No such luck! Harry's taken James to see Ron in a Quidditch Cup Final and wont be back until tomorrow." James Sirius was the Potter's eldest son and at nine years old was the perfect age to be introduced to the finer points of the Professional Quidditch Game. "And Mum and Dad are away visiting Charlie in Romania. Sorry! Can you not ask Luna and Neville?"

"Oh that's a shame. It was my fault I didn't give you any warning. I think Lily needs you matey. I'll floo you in the week. Bye Gin. Bye Albie!"

And with that she was gone. Next she flooed Neville and his recently married wife Luna, but there was no response and only an Answerfloo message saying that they were both away for the weekend visiting Luna's father Xenophilius. Hermione sat back down with a sigh. She accio'd a glass of water which she drank thirstily and then tried to floo call Draco but he wasn't in either; he was probably still at work. Like Hermione, he too worked for the Ministry of Magic but whereas Hermione was a judge on the Wizengamot, Draco was an Actuary - calculating probability and assessing risk within the Ministry's many businesses. It was an excellent job and fitted his analytical mind perfectly but it meant he had to come into work early and almost always leave late. Hermione decided to send him an owl inviting him to The Beach House.

Whilst waiting for a response the young witch took herself into her bathroom, showered and put on a vest top and shorts. She packed her bag for a few days stay at the seaside and apparated away from her small house in Harrow.

****************

Sat in a lounger on the front porch in the early evening sun, accompanied by a chilled glass of Prosecco and some crisps, Hermione laid back and relaxed. All she could hear was the swishing of the long grasses that lay behind the golden sand which in turn made its way lazily to the sapphire sea. With the air still heavy with the heat of the day, she laid back and closed her eyes. A few minutes later she was startled back to consciousness by her name being called.

"Oi Granger!" Came the cheery shout. With immediate recognition, Hermione sat up grinning. She could make out his figure in the distance, ambling from behind a particularly large clump of pampas.

"Malfoy!" She replied waving furiously and jumping up from her sun lounger. She was very pleased to see him.

Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger had been sworn enemies during their days as pupils at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry but time and maturity had put an end to the rift and they found out they rather enjoyed each other's company. Hermione ran to Draco who put down the small bag he was carrying and swung the young witch off her feet. He planted a big kiss on her lips and then put her down again. Hermione hugged him. Their relationship was no more sexual than with Harry or Ron- he was like a brother to her - but their often flirty behaviour had caused tongues to wag in the past. She kissed him back and hugged him again. It was then that she looked over her shoulder and realised he wasn't alone. Standing awkwardly a few feet behind him was a man that Hermione hadn't seen for some years yet recognised instantly. Seeing him sent a shiver like an electric current down her entire body. She extricated herself from Draco and slowly walked over to greet the man who was looking back at her through hooded eyes.

"Hello Professor" she greeted him with a genuine smile of warmth and took his hand in both of hers and gave it a squeeze "It's lovely to see you!"

Severus, whose obsidian eyes took in the young witch's smiling visage looked at his hand enveloped in her smaller ones.  His stony and unyielding features did not belie the fact he couldn't believe how aesthetically pleasing she'd become.  From a shy and gawky teen she'd clearly blossomed into a mature, self confident, and breathtakingly beautiful woman.  "Miss Granger" Said Severus dipping his head in a slight nod.  He didn't feel the need to expand the conversation. 

By way of explanation, Draco came back to where the witch and wizard stood.  "I hope you don't mind me bringing Uncle Severus? Only he's just moved back to England and he's staying with me whilst his house is being renovated. 

Again Hermione smiled, looking from Draco to Severus "I don't mind at all. The more, the merrier.  Are you both staying for the weekend?"

"May we?"

"Of course! There's plenty of room.  Come and bring your bags inside and I'll fetch you both a drink.  You must be parched. Shall we order in a Pizza later?"