Chapter IX

Wednesday, June 7, 2016

3 Weeks, 6 Days Left

Dean looked at the man in the mirror, it didn't look anything like him. Paler, skinnier, lifeless. He shrugged it off and continued getting dressed, slipping on the leather jacket.

"You ready?" Sam asked, holding a pair of crutches.

"What are those for?"

"Walking."

"Okay, smartass."

"The nurses let me give you an upgrade for this, probably will make it easier to get on rollercoasters and stuff." Sam handed the crutches to his brother, who grabbed them and started using them.

"Thanks, Sammy." Dean said. It felt good to be tall again, but he still wasn't nearly as tall of his quote-unquote little brother.

"Sam." He argued, and Dean walked out of the room.

He walked down the hallway, and they met downstairs with the Novaks. It was still quite strange to be seeing Cas in something other than his trenchcoat or a hospital gown. He was in a button-down shirt and jeans, probably one of the most casual outfits he has.

"So, how far away is this?" Cas asked.

"Like twenty minutes."

"Shotgun." Gabriel called, opening the passenger door to the Impala as they walked out towards the garage.

"No way." Sam said, and since Gabriel was already sitting there, he sat on top of him.

"Get off me, you moose."

"Nope, you said you wanted shotgun."

"Fine, I'll sit in the back!" He complained, his voice muffled. Sam got up and Gabriel sat in the back.

"Where's the seatbelts?" Cas asked.

"What are you, twelve?"

"Safety is important."

"If we get in a crash just hold on for dear life." Dean suggested, then started the music. Kansas started blasting through the radio, and Dean drummed his fingers on the dashboard.

"Oh, Baby, it's good to be back." Dean said.

"You sure you want to drive, Dean?"

"Of course I do." Dean said, pressing his foot on the gas, and they were off.

They ran down the highways, classic rock blasting, windows down, and no fucks given. Just like they were normal, no disease, no death.

~~~

"Man, I missed this place." Dean said as they walked through the gates after buying tickets.

Cas and Gabe looked around in wonder. Dean had forgotten that they never had been to a fair.

"Want to go ride the rollercoaster?" Dean asked, pointing to the Steel Rocket coaster, the fair's most popular one.