I Lived

Dedicated to the romantic in all of us. Check out JabberlocksBox, she truly has a gift for romance and covers! Look at this cover, its her work!

Danica:

I never thought that when I had my first day of school I would be locked in a staring contest with my crush.

"Um, you go first."

I finally broke the silence, bored of not saying anything for than a few minutes.

"Alright, how has your day been, madam? Enough canaries sang when they heard your voice?"

"...Uh, why would yellow birds start singing at my mere presence, kind sir?" I stated, playing along with what I presumed was a tease.

"Your very voice commands them to and they cannot resist joining along with you."

"Are you saying I sing when I talk? Are I but a dullard playing at Snow White?" I replied back.

At this point, I was fed up and considering leaving the table. This joke was getting out of hand.

He laughed lightly. "Danica, I would never think of you as foolish or dull. Rather the opposite. What you did to save me was more than what others who regard themselves wise. I hope you keep fighting for what is right. "

I accepted his compliment, but realized I had used the word dullard instead of fool.

"Oh, you must surely think of me as an encyclopedia now? Anthony? I henceforth apologize as I did not mean to say words that make you think I was raised out of the dictionary...which I swear I wasn't!" As I started to do everything but get on my knees to beg his forgiveness of my arrogance at presuming he knew the meaning of dullard, he did something that surprised me.

He grinned and responded, "Danica, how could I be cross with you? You did not do any grievance against me. No need to apologize at all. Please forgive me for making you think less of yourself as well as pardon me for teasing you so much."

Looking me straight in the eye for the first time, he said, "Even though I know the meaning of the word 'dullard', (he did air quotes in the air) I have to admit that my jest proves I am but a dunce myself. No man should be so outright at jesting with a girl he just met. The truth is I was just feeling slightly nervous in your presence." He explained.

"Nervous, why would I make you nervous?" I asked, politely, of course.

"What...with your commanding presence, that is. Your voice speaks volumes, your posture is upright and you are brave to face bullies on your first day! Surely, you realize you reek of confidence!" he told me.

"I'm flattered Anthony that you would think that. But the truth is I have no idea on how to act here! All this has been so much for me! Even the lunch hours are full with the talks of cliques and an organizational hierarchy that excludes me. What am I to do? That is the real reason why I approached where you were sitting...I had no place to sit." I confessed.

He looked perplexed and furrowed his eyebrows for a long while before speaking up.

"I am not the most popular in school here, but that has not kept me from enjoying learning from my teachers and interacting with others. Wait a second...Danica, I think I may have found a solution to your problem." He smiled at me while saying the latter part.

"You have?!! To what problem, exactly?"

"Living. You have been home schooled all your life, correct?"

"Yes..." I admitted, reluctantly, I might add.

"You have been looking to the outside world through glass, right?"

Again, I agreed, but had no clue what he was going on about.

"I got it. I have decided to, with your permission of course, be your guide to living!"

I stared at him like he had grown a horn on his head. Maybe he was demented?

"Think about it clearly Danica. You strike me as one who wishes to experience a lot and do more than just learn about the outside world. You wish to be a part of it and not be treated as a princess, right?"

By this point, I continued listening, my jaw hanging agape and my thoughts running wild.

Did he just offer what I thought he did?

Was I to fulfill my checklist of things to do before I die? Or before my illusion runs out?

"There is surely dreams that you want to accomplish and things to do with others. We'll fulfill the smaller ones, the possible ones and make a game at it. Ooo...Think of it as a Glad Game..."

I interrupted him, "And I Pollyanna?"

"Well, you definitely have the child optimistic outlook like her. It fits well."

I took this as another compliment, though was not heartened by the fact that I was but a child to him. If he thought of me as a child, then I could never be his girlfriend...in the future. Is it sad I read too many romance novels while Aunt Fleur was not looking? By the age of 10, I was convinced I was to be a spinster princess and cried reading Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey.

If I had never met anyone other than Aunt Fleur in my life, I would have considered myself an introvert. However, my violet cashmere sweater and black hoop skirt probably said otherwise...Who am I kidding? I am starved for attention so much have been today-A. Being very vocal about myself or B. Trying to catch the eyes of boys by strutting across the room seductively. Heads up anyone, that failed miserably. I only foolish afterwards for making myself look like a drama queen. I barely knew them! Or anyone else here for that matter!

Anthony coughed and I looked up, realizing again that I had been consumed in my own thoughts.

"To be or not to be, that is the question. So Danica, I only have one question for you then."

He quoted Shakespeare!! Ahhh, my heart!

"Do you accept my proposition?

"I do."