"Why didn't you guys tell me before?"

"Emerson you've been going through a lot we didn't want to pile too much on your plate."

Shaking my head I say," screw that. This is Grandpa Wayne, my problems aren't nearly as important as his life."

"You're right," Ma nods," finish up. We'll go pay him a visit."

"Really?"

"Yeah really." She nods and smiles softly.

We finish eating and they pay the bill before we leave.

"Fags." Mia coughs.

I hold my middle finger out to her as I walk out the door.

The drive to the hospital is silent and once we arrive they lead me straight to Grandpa Wayne's room.

He's lying down, hooked up to the heart monitor and an IV, eyes closed, breathing somewhat evenly.

"Grandpa." I say softly, holding his hand in both of mine.

Stirring he opens his eyes and looks at me, smiling brightly.

"Hey my little lamb."

Little Lamb is what he's called me since I was a baby. I followed him everywhere I could and cried when I couldn't.

I smile," hey, how're you feeling?"

"Like a million bucks little lamb."

Nodding I say," good cause I'm going to need you at your best come Spring. I don't want you to miss my first lacrosse game."

"I would never. I'll be front and center cheering you on." His hand comes up and cups my cheek.

I comb my fingers through his snow white hair and kiss his forehead before stepping back.

Ma comes back in followed by Grandma Isabel and speaks with him.

I can see in her eyes how much this hurts her. Truthfully it breaks my heart, not just because it's my Grandpa but because it's killing my Ma to see him like this.

"Hey Gram."

She smiles and immediately pulls me into a hug," hey Pooh Bear."

I keep my arm around her shoulders after we pull apart," how are you?"

"I'm alright, tired." She sighs.

Looking in her eyes I'm forced to ask," how long have you been here?"

"Since they admitted him."

"And how long has that been?"

She frowns," three days."

"Gram what the heck. Have you slept at all?"

"No."

"You gotta get home and rest." I say disapprovingly.

"I know I just. I don't want to leave his side."

Putting my hands on her shoulders I say," I know that Gram but you aren't any good to him if you're falling asleep every few minutes."

"Yeah, you're right."

"I'll drive you home."

She nods.

Going over to Momma I tell her that I'm going to take Grandma home and then I'm going to see my friends.

"I'll see you around old man." I joke with Grandpa.