Destination Love-Chapter Seven

"Hey, sweetie, what's the matter?" Taylor sat on the edge of Ava's bed, and leaned over to brush the child's hair back from her forehead. "You should be asleep like your sister."

Tears filled the little girls eyes. She looked up at Taylor sadly, "I want Mommy."  

"Oh, honey," Taylor gently lifted the little girl into her arms. "it'll be alright. Daddy will be here soon."

"I don't like it here." Ava sobbed. "I want to go home." 

Taylor toed off her shoes and climbed onto the bed. She laid back with Ava laying against her chest. As she gently stroked a hand down the child's hair, she whispered soothing words. Before long, the tears stopped, and Ava's breathing evened out. She was asleep. 

"She doesn't like hospitals." Chloe whispered from the next bed. "When she was three, she got sick, and had to stay in a hospital. Mom left her there alone overnight. I don't know what happened, but every since, Ava's been afraid of hospitals." 

Taylor hugged the little girl a tighter. "She'll be okay." She glanced over at the teenager. "So will you. You're a brave girl, Chloe."

"I'm scared, too." 

Taylor reached over and caught the railing on Chloe's bed with her fingertips. Balancing herself on the edge of Ava's bed, she pulled Chloe closer. The cords of the monitors plugged into the wall, stretched, but stayed plugged in. "There." She said as she threaded her fingers with the teenagers. "Now we're all safe." 

Chloe leaned her head against Taylor's shoulder, "Thanks." She whispered, and drifted off to sleep. 

With the two children sleeping against her, Taylor snuggled down on the bed, and gave into her own exhaustion. She woke sometime later with the children still snuggled against her. Someone had come in, and covered the three of them with the thin hospital blankets. 

Across the room, Alex was sprawled out in a chair sound asleep. The door opened, and the lights flickered on. Taylor blinked against the sudden brightness. 

"Sorry." The nurse said, as she entered. "I need to check the girls' vitals." 

"You need to wake them?" Taylor asked. "They're finally sleeping." 

"I'll try not to." The nurse answered. She started with Ava, and gently secured the blood pressure cuff on her arm. "This is probably going to wake her." 

"She sleeps pretty soundly," Alex stood, "especially when she has a big day, like today, or yesterday." 

Taylor looked up, and locked eyes with the doctor, "Have you seen Mason?" 

He nodded, "He's going to be fine." 

"And all three of these little ones," The nurse said, "will be going home soon." 

"That's great." Taylor said. 

"Home?" Chloe sat up rubbing her eyes. "To New York?" 

"No, sweetheart," Alex rounded the beds, and sat down to hug his daughter. "You're coming home with me." 

"I thought you lived in a hotel." 

"He does live in a hotel." Taylor answered, "It's a very nice hotel. Where you will be able to have anything you need, anytime you need it." 

"Do you live there?" Chloe asked. 

"I live near there." 

"Taylor owns the hotel." Alex said, "She's my boss." 

"Not really." Taylor shook her head, "You're contracted through the company, but not an employee." She looked down as the nurse finished with Ava, "She's really out."