Destination Love-Prologue

"Dixon Resort and Event Center thanks you for your time, ladies and gentlemen. Within the next few days, you will receive an email with a unique code. If you chose to use your free weekend and tour of Dixon's, use that code when you make your reservation." Taylor Dixon forced a smile. This was the last of ten presentations she had given in the past few days, she was ready to be done and go home. 

"I will be available for questions for a few minutes after. There are also brochures here," She waved to a table at the end of the stage. "with contact information for our event consultants. Please feel free to call us any time. Thank you." 

The three dozen people scattered around the large room applauded. Taylor turned off her microphone, and removed it from around her ear. Several people met her at the end of the stage. She spent the next hour answering questions and handing out brochures. 

Finally the room emptied. A crew of hotel workers came in to clean up. Taylor packed up her briefcase. Her stomach rumbled as she left the room. Faced with another evening in her hotel room alone with room service, she chose to go downstairs to the hotels restaurant.  

The restaurant was crowded, but she managed to find a seat at the bar, and ordered a rum coke, burger and fries. "What's going on?" She asked the bartender. "Why's it so crowded?" 

"There are a couple conferences in town." The bartender sat her drink in front of her. "Your food should be out soon." 

"Thanks." Taylor hung her briefcase and purse on the back of her chair, and shrugged her suit jacket off. She was mentally exhausted, but there was no rest for the weary. She pulled out her phone and found six voicemails and a dozen text messages waiting.

She dug a pen and paper out of her briefcase, and listened to the messages. By the time she got to the last one, her food arrived. She took a bite, and returned the first call. 

"Hey, Tay." Her sister Daisy picked up on the third ring. "how did it go?" 

"Oh, just wonderful." Taylor answered. "I'm in the restaurant having dinner." She looked around the room, her gaze caught a reflection in  the mirror behind the bar. A man at the other end was watching her. He was a clean cut, well dressed man. With dark hair, and blue eyes. He was incredibly handsome.

"Tay. Did you hear me?" 

"Oh, Sorry, Daisy," Taylor shook her head, and looked away, "It's noisy in here. Repeat that." 

"I said Doctor Gable had a heart attack last night." Her sister answered. 

"Oh, no." Taylor sat back in her chair, and pulled the clip out of her hair to let the long dark strands fall around her shoulders.  

"We have been waiting all day for an update, but the hospital will only say that he's stable." 

"Geez." 

"I'm not sure what to tell Nurse Nancy." Daisy said. 

"Let's wait until we have news on Sam's condition before we do anything. I'll call Nancy. She's an Registered Nurse so she can handle most things, and the doctors at the hospital will be available if she needs to call for anything. That's what we did when Sam went on vacation." 

Daisy sighed, "Fine, just let me know what you want me to do." She disconnected. 

Taylor popped a fry into her mouth, and dialed another number. Her gaze moved to the mirror again, the man was still watching her. Their eyes met in the reflection. He smiled. She smiled. Geez, she thought as she forced her gaze away, it's been way too long. She massaged her temple. 

"Dixon Medical Center, This is Nurse Nancy." 

"Hey, Nan. It's Taylor." 

"Oh, my goodness. Did you hear about Sam?"