#1 : The Last Day

Crow

I don't remember for how long I had been sleeping in this hospital.
I just woke up not knowing where and why I was here.
I get up to use the toilet.
Then I open the door and get out of the room.
The hallway is empty and silent which is really scary.
Passing by the walls and getting out of the building I notice empty and destroyed cars on the road with no person around. Is this a dream?
I don't either remember doing drugs.
But I do remember I had a car accident which caused me to be stuck in coma. Maybe these are some side effects.

Then suddenly a helicopter passes above me startling me with its growling sound.

I sense someone coming towards me on my right.
It's a decomposed man walking really badly looking at me and groaning.
It looks like an undead person.
Just like in some fictional movies.
Heh. It's been a long time I didn't punch someone in the face.
Let's have fun!

I run towards him and punch him in the forehead.
Then I turn my head to the side towards the perpendicular street and see a zombie crowd. Some started moving into my direction.

I stepped back in fear.
Then a bike passed through them coming in my direction.
The man riding extends his left hand to me so I can grab it and get on the bike which I did without hesitation.

And we could get away from that dangerous crowd.

- Thank you. My name is Crow. I introduced myself sitting on the backside of the bike.

- I'm Kio. How did you survive?
- Hm... actually I just woke up from a coma... I was in the hospital as you can tell by the clothes I am wearing.
- Wow! Really? You really got lucky I gotta say. For how long? Since the beginning?
- Yeah.. before getting into a coma, I was in a normal world.
- That's unbelievable, buddy! But now that you discovered this new world, you gotta defend yourself. I have a group of survivors. I came here in this town to get some food and stuff. We have a camp not far from here. That's where we're heading now. I'll introduce you to them.
- That'd be so nice of you, man.

Kio brings me to his crew.
I introduced myself to them and they were very nice to me.
I stayed there for a few hours. I even got spare clothes.

- Kio, I'm really thankful for what you've done but I gotta go to my parents' house. I said to Kio alone.

He explained it to Bryce, the leader of the group who gave me an uzi, a pistol and a knife right after and asked Kio to accompany me to find my parents.

Now we are ready to go.
It's 6pm now.
We took the bike and we moved back to the town.
At this moment I didn't realize the unbearable reality of the world around me.
I just had one thing in my mind which was even more important than surviving, it was about finding my parents. I was imaging them either in the house having strong fences around to defend theirselves against the zombies.

The sky was getting dark blue and suddenly the bike stopped working.
No fuel.
We walked with the bike to a petrol pump.
While Kio was filling up the bike, we were talking about our lives before this zombie disease happened.

After a few minutes, several zombies appeared. They almost surrounded us by surprise.
- Shoot 'em in the dead, Crow!! Kio shouts while we started shooting some zombies' heads.

- I'll try to distract them this way while you run away the other way, Crow!
- No! That's fcking risky! I said.
- Shut the fck up and go away right now!! You gotta find your parents! Gooooo!
- Ugh!!

And I escaped through the alleys thinking if leaving him like that was the only solution or not.
I hope he'll make it to his bike and run away.

Then I was getting closer to my parents' house.
I was now thinking about them being alive or not.

I finally arrived.
There was no barriers around the house. I started being scared.

Are my parents still in there?

------
To Be Continued