Sweet Dreams

NOW

The voice becomes louder as the person behind me comes closer to me.

''Stop running, you'll pay for what you did, don't fight it!''.

I can't see anything through the dark but I keep running. I'm stumbling on tree roots and rocks but I don't really care. All I can think is a way to get away. How can dead people come back to life? They can't. So why is he chasing me? Why me? I swear I saw him dead some months ago, when it all started. I feel something liquid on my left arm, probably blood, but there's nothing I can do...not here, not now. All of a sudden, I fall on the ground. I have a strong pain in my chest and feet but I manage to crawl till I reach a bole and stand to my feet holding from it. Before I realize what's going on the figure shows up from the woods. I make out a grin on his face and his eyes staring at me darkly.

''Leave me alone.'' I scream as loud as I can.

He doesn't seem to be surprised by my reaction. I'm sure he is actually enjoying the whole situation. He takes a step closer to me.

''You deserved everything that happened to you.'' he almost whispers. I can't think clearly and the pain in my chest worsen. Ι have a really bad feeling about what will follow.

''What...what are you talking about? You....you are dead.'' I stammer trying to emphasize the last word.

I'm trembling and I start to panic. There's no way out....I shriek as he comes even closer, leaving a small space between us.

''It is all your fault! If only you weren't there. If only you didn't exist, everything would be fine. No one would had to die!'' he yells at me.

''I'm sorry I....I didn't mean to hurt anyone."

He stares at me and I can see the hate in his eyes.

''Of course you're sorry now that it's all over, aren't you?Maybe it is over for you but not for anyone else. I'm dead because of you and now you'll feel the pain that I endured because of you.'' he spits menacingly as he walks all the distance between us.

I see him pulling a sharp object from his back pocket that glistens under the moonlight.

''No, no, no. Please, don't do this." I cry as I'm trying to cover myself with my hands. I feel the tears falling down from my eyes as he turns what he's holding towards my body and...

''Kimber Lynn? Kim, honey, wake up. Come on, wake up. It's just a dream."

I open my eyelids with difficulty. When my eyes finally adjust to the light, it takes me some seconds to realize where I am. I see my mum sitting next to me on the right side of my bed. She is holding my hand and seems really worried.

''Were you having bad dreams again?'' she asks with compassion.

She puts her hand on the top of my head like she wants to check my temperature. I am so sweaty as if I have just taken a shower. I shake my head as a respond.

''Oh, sweetie. It's alright. Everything is gonna be alright.'' she assures me and gives me a big hug. We stay like that for a while until she pulls back. ''You better get ready for school, honey. You don't wanna be late on your first day.'' she kisses my forehead and exits the room leaving me alone with my thoughts.