Right Place Right Time

THEN

When we land I have a strong headache due to the flight. It's so irritating. Why couldn't I have stayed home? I'm sixteen years old, I can take care of myself. I'm not a child anymore but my parents have yet to figure that out.

I'm still furious with my parents but there's no point of complaining anymore. I'm already in Tahiti. God, I wish I knew why my parents wanted so badly to come here. It is just an island that keeps me away from my boyfriend...

By the time that we get into a taxi to go to our hotel I can see why this vacation is worth it. The sun makes the sea twinkles. The tall trees around me and the smell of baked food give the impression that everything is made from paradise.

''Isn't it beautiful here, honey?'' my dad asks, who's sitting next to the driver.

''I can get used to it'' I admit. ''Maybe I'll stand lucky and find a shopping mall near the hotel.''

''I don't think there are any, sweetie." says my mum and laughs.

I'm not mad anymore. My dad is probably right. It's a beautiful island, I can see outside of my window the tourists crossing the streets, swimming in the sea and playing rackets on the beach. Yup, that's the city of paradise; I think to myself.

I check my phone and see that Josh has texted me. ''I hope you won't forget that you have a boyfriend back here and hook up with the lifeguard or something xd. I miss you xx.''

I smile as I read it and text him back. ''Don't worry, you're the only person of interest. I miss you too xd."

When we finally arrive at the hotel, I'm exhausted and head straight to our room. My parents follow me.

"Wow, that's bigger than I thought it would be. How much did you pay for this, Steve?" My mum asks as she go to the balcony to take a look of the view.

''Believe me, you don't wanna know. I would do anything to keep the two women in my life satisfied." my dad as he follows her to the balcony.

That's my dad, always one step ahead of us. He is a businessman and owns a big company that produces a well-known brand chocolate. That's why he is never worried about our expenses. That's one of the things that almost no one knows about me besides Haley's family and Josh. It's more like a secret that we keep just in case that someone tries to take advantage of us.

I take a quick look of the room. It's amazing. I feel like a princess making her dream come true. There's a double bed for my parents and a single one for me, a small kitchen and a big balcony from which you can see the sea. I feel my eyelids become heavier and heavier so I lay into my cozy bed and fall asleep within minutes.

''Kim, Kim wake up.''

I open my eyes slowly and see my mum above my head.

''Your father and I are going to the restaurant down stairs. Will you join us?''

''I'm not that hungry, mum, what time is it, by the way?''

She checks her phone and tells me that it's 7:30 p.m.

"Then I guess I'll have a walk before it gets darker, you know, just to have a complete idea about how amazing this place is.''

My mum grins and gives me some money in case I want to buy something. When she leaves the room I get up and get dressed.

As I leave the room I notice a curly-haired boy walking in the aisle. He smirks at me as he passes by and I smile bashfully. He has gorgeous green eyes and an irresistible smile that would make every girl met except from me. I have Josh, who loves me, even if he hasn't told me again after the ''incident''. I give him a quick look as he enters the elevator and then I take the stairs.

When I exit the hotel, I see that the sun has already started setting. I don't really care, I was never afraid of the dark. I start walking next to a group of tourists. They must be Spanish; I think, or maybe Italian. Whatever, I was never good at foreign languages, anyway. I can feel the fresh air getting into my lungs. Inexplicably, my mood has absolutely changed since I came here. Maybe I needed a getaway and Tahiti is my best bet for the time being.

Before I have realized it my steps lead me to the beach. I come closer and submerse my feet into the water. Even though, it's dark, the water's still warm. I stand there for a while enjoying the moment. I see the stars twinkling and hear music coming from a beach bar close to the beach. ''Smells like teen spirit'' is on and I start moving to the beat without caring if anyone is watching. When the song ends I decide that it's time to return to the hotel before my parents get worried.

It is really dark and the lights of the city are out. I try to remember the way that I had taken to return to the hotel but I can't. After a while I realize that I've been making circles. I try not to panic but that's over my powers. I have no idea where I am and no one is around. I grab my phone from my back pocket to call my mum but I'm out of battery. I look around but all I can see is a trash can and a cat sitting next to it.

''Hey, are you ok?''

I let out a scream and drop my phone as I hear someone's voice behind me. I turn around and see the curly-haired boy that I had seen earlier.

I...I've lost my way to the hotel." I whisper.

He stares at me but doesn't speak for some seconds that seems like ages to me.

''Wait. You're the girl from the hotel, right?'' he finally says and I nod.

''I'll accompany you there. Come on.''

He moves his hand and for a second I think that he will touch my arm but he just shows me the right direction for the hotel.

''Thanks." I mutter.

We start walking slowly. We're quiet for some minutes. I think I can make out our hotel from afar and feel relieved and embarrassed at the same time. I glance at him for a second. He's beautiful as he's looking at the beach near us.

''You were lucky that I found you. There was a dangerous territory. Why were you there?''

I tell him everything. Starting with my holiday and ending with my unplugged phone. He doesn't interrupt me when I am talking he's just looking at me with...curiosity.

I don't mention my boyfriend. Mostly because he's a stranger and secondly I don't think that's something that he would be interested in. When I finish talking we're outside of the entrance of the hotel.

''Well, I learned how you spend the whole day but you still haven't mentioned you're name.'' he smirks.

''Kimber Lynn...but everyone calls me Kim.'' I say and smile back.

''I actually like Kimber Lynn more. Kim is more...ordinary name and you are special so you need an original name.''

I open my mouth to say something when my mum comes out of the hotel running and shooting my name. I see my dad behind her talking to someone in the lobby. My mum hugs me tight asking where I have been.

''Mum, I'm find. I just lost my way and I was out of battery.''

I look around but the curly-haired boy has already left...