• • T W E N T Y F I V E • •

I PARKED ON the side of the gas station next to Gina's green Windstar. I rubbed my eyes as I got out of the car. It was going on five. As I trudged across the parking lot towards the entrance of the building, I pulled my hood up over my head and crossed my arms tightly in front of myself. The wind stripped heat and energy away from me in strands. My adrenaline high from meeting Rick was fading, and I needed to get inside.

When I reached the front of the shop, I slipped through the door carefully, only opening it far enough to fit my body through. The bells rang faintly and halfheartedly, like they didn't give a fuck that I was there.

I pulled my hood down as I passed the rows of candy bars and gum. I was a few feet away from the register when Gina finally looked up from where she sat.

"Harper!" she exclaimed, her hand going to her chest in shock as she drew a few quick breaths in. "I didn't even hear you come in. You startled me."

"Sorry," I said.

She scooted out from behind the register and came over to me, wrapping her arms around me and pulling me into a tight hug. The thick flowery scent of her perfume filled my head, cutting off my oxygen. My vision darkened around the edges and then went completely black for a second before fading back into color when she finally pulled away.

"I was so worried about you, honey." The faint wrinkles on her face shone in the light of the overhead florescents. Her makeup had run into them, highlighting the creases like tiny streams. "I looked for you for an hour." She frowned as she pushed back a stray strand of brown hair that had escaped her braid.

"I'm sorry for running out," I said.

"There's no need to apologize." She placed her hand on my shoulder and squeezed gently. "I was just scared. Are you okay?"

"I'm all right," I said lowly. I held eye contact with her for a second before looking down at my feet.

"Where did you go?" she asked, keeping her hand on my upper arm like she was afraid I might try to run away again if she didn't hold on to me.

"I just drove around for a while," I said. "I did some thinking... too much thinking." I put my hands in the pockets of my jeans. "I need something to take my mind off... things." I made eye contact with her again.

"Harper," she started out slowly, "I don't think you're in a state to be working right now..."

"Please, I need to do something," I cut her off.

She breathed out between her teeth and looked me in the eyes, shaking her head slightly.

"Please," I repeated myself when she didn't say anything in response. I grabbed her hand and squeezed it lightly before letting go. "I can't spend another night like last night." I looked out the front window of the shop, scanning the empty gas station for a few seconds before pulling my eyes back to Gina. "I need something normal."

She bit her lower lip and turned from me, heading back behind the register. "Okay," she finally said. She sat down and let out a heavy breath. "Okay. Your shift starts at nine."

I nodded. "Thank you, Gina." I turned to leave the store.

"Where are you staying?" she called after me before I got to the door.

I paused and leaned against the wall, turning back to face her. "I got a room at the Super 8," I lied. "Just for the time being, until I can figure something else out."