eight

Wally walked home with Dick, thinking. What happened in Dick's English class today? It was probably some bullies, but if so, why didn't Dick tell him? Why keep it to himself? They both got bullied, it wasn't a secret. Being famous for being a ward of Bruce Wayne got you a lot of hate, especially when you went to an expensive school and took classes much ahead of your age range. Wally mostly got bullied for being gay, in this Homophobic city of Gotham.

"Wally? Are you even listening to me?" Dick asked, waving his hand in front of Wally's face.

"Wah? Oh ya, continue." Wally snapped out of his trance.

"I said do you want to hang out at my house today?" Dick rolled his eyes.

"Today?" Wally thought of how his dad always said, 'three day notice', he really wanted to, but he didn't want an extra beating. "Sorry I can't. Maybe tomorrow?"

"Wally please, I'm lonely!" Dick pouted and Wally shook his head, "Fine." He huffed.

-

Megan skipped home, her first day went fantastic. She already had three friends! Artemis, Zatanna, and Kori, a girl that was in her French class. Kori had long fiery-red hair that was down to her waist, straight with bangs. She kind of looked like Megan, they were both from far-off islands. She kept skipping, not looking where she was going, and crashed into a boy with ebony hair.

"Ahh!" The boy yelled, falling to the ground.

"I'm so sorry, are you alright?" Megan quickly asked, holding her hand out.

"Just dandy." He mumbled, pulling himself up with her hand.

Megan was surprised, he was really light. "I'm sorry, that was the second time that happened today! But hey, the first time it sprung a friendship!"

"Maybe it will the second time to. I'm-" Dick started, before Megan cut him off.

"Hello, Megan!" She said, hitting her head, "You're Dick Grayson, Bruce Waynes son!"

"Ward, not son. But ya, nice to meet you." He replied.

"Hey! You're friends with that girl that punched me, Artemis!" The male redhead that was watching the encounter yelled out.

"Yes, she's the other one I crashed into today. She's really sorry for punching you, and don't worry she got a punishment." Megan said quickly.

"Alright, I'll forgive you and your friend, just because you're so beautiful." He said smiling. "I'm Wally West."

"Megan Moores." She introduced herself.

-

Artemis ran home. Her father wouldn't be happy about her being on the swim team, and staying late without telling him. She finally entered their shack of a house, trying to sneak up to her bedroom.

"Artemis!" She heard her sister, Jade, call out.

Artemis cringed, she had been caught. "Yeah, Jade?" She asked.

She turned around, Jade was... crying? Not full-on, just watery eyes and the odd tear. "Mom... she's in prison..."

"What?" Artemis asked. This had to be a prank. After everything her father had done, her mother was in prison?

"Mom got caught robbing a bank... her trial should be in a month or so..." Jade said looking down.

Artemis walked back down the stairs, "So she might not being going to prison if she had a good lawyer!"

"Artemis we're poor. We aren't going to get a good lawyer." Jade finished, walking away.

Artemis followed her example and ran to her room. Her mom was in jail.

I have blessed you. feel blessed.

-kj apa

-kj (not apa)