Chapter Twelve

Jax's POV

I wasn't going to lie, I was nervous... probably for the first time in my life.

I was carrying my mate upstairs and into my room before gently placing her on my bed. How was she going to react to sleeping in the same room as me? I could tell she had trust issues with people and I didn't want to make her uncomfortable by forcing her into a situation she wasn't ready for. Doctor Tessler's words about forcing her into uncomfortable situations rang through my head but I also didn't think I could sleep in a different room as her, my wolf just wouldn't allow it.

I stared at her, trying to gauge her reaction, but when I didn't really get anything back from her I sighed in frustration and turned to get some clean clothes from my wardrobe. I'd have to take her shopping tomorrow for some proper clothes that actually fitted, seeing as I'd forgotten to ask someone to pick something up for me. I'm not going to lie through, I rather enjoyed seeing her in my clothes.

I cleared my throat and ran my hand along the back of my neck, not sure how to approach the subject of sleeping arrangements.

"You're going to sleep in here tonight with me... if that's okay with you?" I tried to say it as if it were a demand, but it came out more like a question. What was wrong with me, I was the Alpha of a strong pack, but right now I was acting more like a love sick pup.

Looking into Annabelle's eyes I could see the uncertainty in them and my heart sank a little at the thought of her not trusting me. "I'll sleep on the couch over there so that you're a little more comfortable, but I am not sleeping in a different room to you. My wolf won't take it Annabelle" I stated, hoping I sounded firmer this time.

She just nodded her head in understanding before looking down at the clothes that I had just placed in her hands. She then looked back up at me, and I could tell that she was silently asking me to leave with her eyes.

"Alright, alright I'll leave you to get changed whilst I go and take a shower. I'll be in the bathroom if you need anything" I said before turning around and headed into the ensuite. It took all my self-control not to turn around as I heard the rustle of fabric behind me as she started to change into the fresh set of clothes I had given her. I managed to get to the bathroom without looking back though and quickly shut the door behind me before my wolf won out on what he wanted and I turned around.

I sighed and leant my forehead against the closed door, she was driving me crazy and she wasn't even doing anything. I shuddered to think about what she would be capable of doing to me once she gains some confidence and has contact with her wolf. She'd have me wrapped around her little finger, or whipped as Xavier would say.

I quietly growled as I suddenly remembered that someone has forcibly shut her away from her wolf and therefore away from me as I went to turn the water on. Whoever did that to her should be immediately executed in front of everyone, no one hurts my mate.

"Alpha are you available for a meeting?" Xavier asked me through our mink link, stopping my vengeful thoughts from getting to far.

"Give me ten minutes and then yes I will be, I just want to make sure Annabelle is asleep before you come around." The last thing I need is for her to see him and get scared. After all, he is the one that was forcefully demanding her to shift back when she didn't even know what was going on.

"Yes Alpha" was his only response before we cut the conversation.

I sighed and quickly finished my shower before dressing into some clean clothes and heading back out into my bedroom.

What I saw when I came out though made me angry and my heart break all at the same time. There, curled up on the sofa, was Annabelle. She was in her new clothes and cuddled up in the corner of the sofa without even a pillow or a blanket over her to make it more comfortable. What did she think she was playing at, there was no question that she was getting the bed tonight so why did she go and sleep on the sofa?