Ch. 44

Thursday went by in the same manner as Wednesday.  The tension never disappeared, and the confidence—to have enough of it—never came.

                Celia—who I hadn't heard from in a long while—decided Charlie could get ready for the concert at my place a few hours after school, so she and Charlie's parents came over to talk with my mom.  Well, Celia might've said 'hang out', but Charlie told me it was really to 'talk.'

                "I think she knows."

                "She doesn't know."

                Charlie and I were already dressed in my room.  We wore thin dresses with black pantyhose and flats, comfortable and refreshing since Charlie pointed out we'd be under the hot lights of the auditorium.  All that was left was makeup to match, which Charlie was applying to my face after she tsked at my lack of makeup and knowledge of it.

                "I think Celia knows.  Close your eyes….  She kept looking at me all day, really suspicious."

                "She's not doing those premonition things?"

                "I haven't heard any lately, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad.  I still can't get over the fact she wanted to come to your house, considering it's still haunted."

                "Beatrice hasn't been calling attention to herself for a while, not even through dreams.  You could say—"

                "Don't—"

                "—she's as quiet as a ghost."

                "Lame.  Chin up."

                "Since when were you so girly?  Talking about prom yesterday… makeup right now…."

                Charlie scoffed.  "I'm not girly.  I really did want to talk about something else yesterday, because we were all nervous, and prom seemed like a good topic.  I hope that, by bringing it up, Ethan will remember to get the tickets ahead of time.  They're going on sale next month."

                "Oh."

                "I figured we could get our dresses early too."

                I laughed.

                "Bella, it smudged!"

                "Sorry, but… I'm not going to prom.  And I think we're getting off-track here."

                Charlie tsked.  "Fine.  We'll talk about prom after.  And you will go with us."

                "The third wheel.  Great."

                "No….  We'll set you up with someone… maybe Ethan's cousin…?  Hmm?"

                "The delinquent.  Nice."

                "Quit poo-pooing on everything.  I'm done.  Look."

                Charlie held the mirror up.  "Whoa," I said, "I'm pretty."

*

Charlie's family, and me and Mom, drove to school together and met again at the parking lot.  I could see Ethan's truck not too far off, so he and his parents were already inside the auditorium.  I recognized a few of the faculty and teachers' cars… but I didn't spot the principal's, which was some relief.