Ch. 34

Ch. 34

Mom and I watched Celia and Charlie drive away, waving at them before heading inside.

                "That was fun," said Mom.

                "It was."

                She followed me into the kitchen.  "It was very… enlightening."

                I shrugged.  "I guess."

                "Okay, Bella—stop."

                The sudden change in tone made me turn around.  It'd been a while since I'd seen Mom so mad.  What had happened?

                "Celia told me everything."

                I blanched.  Celia Jones happened, that's what.  "Mom, I—"

                "Don't even bother.  I know."

                No, no, no, no….  She couldn't know about Beatrice!  It would ruin—

                "Why didn't you tell me about the fight?"

                "Mom, I can explain—….  The fight?"

                "Yes!  The fight!  While I'm glad you stood up for a friend, it was still a wrong move.  You weren't involved in the problem in the first place.  It would've been better if you'd just let them be."

                "Celia told you about the fight."

                "Someone had to.  You certainly didn't tell me anything, and then I was left wondering why everyone in town was staring at me and shutting up whenever I was near enough."

                I sighed.  "I forgot about Cheshire…."  Stupid gossipmongers.

                "Why did you decide not to tell me?  You had to have known I was bound to find out eventually—this is a small town, remember?"

                "I just….  I didn't want you to worry."

                "I was already worrying, Bella!  That's my job.  I had a hunch you were keeping something from me, but I thought it was something trivial like secretly dating Ethan Walker or scratching the car.  I didn't know you'd involved yourself in a town scandal.  Everything you do reflects on me, Bella.  I'm responsible for you.  I'm the one that has to make sure you have nothing to worry about.  I don't need protecting—you do."  By this time, she was already a little tired.

                I understood everything she said (don't think I didn't).  I understood that I didn't have to bear the burden of knowing too much, and that I could tell her everything.  But I already set instincts to keep bad things from Mom.  It's what I'd been doing for years, and it wasn't going to change.  Fighting your instincts was difficult.  It was easier going with what you know.

                "I was trying to save you trouble," I said quietly.

                She chuckled humorlessly.  "There wouldn't have been any trouble if you'd stayed out of it."

                "And let Ethan get beat up?  Mom, it wasn't his fault."

                "It wasn't your problem."  I looked at her in surprise.  She put up a defensive hand.  "That came out a little harsh.  I just meant….  You should've notified an adult—"