Ch. 6

I couldn't help thinking about Ethan on the drive home.  He'd seemed like a nice guy (hot helped too), and Mr. Charles said he was a good kid, so on what grounds could all of Cheshire not like him?

                To ask him point-blank would be awful.  Hey, Ethan!  Why does Cheshire hate you?  No, I couldn't do that.  And I didn't want to ask around.  What if he found out about that and decided I was like everyone else?  What if he believed that I was fueled by gossip and judgmental tendencies?

                I didn't want to be like everyone else.  Was that so wrong?

                Maybe in a town like Cheshire it was.

                I spent half of dinner wondering whether I should bring up the Walkers and discuss them.  And when I did, she laughed.  Mom was above all the small-town narrow-mindedness, and I thought I was too.  Her laughing at me made me think twice.

                "I actually ran into Mrs. Walker around lunch today," she said.  "After writing for three straight hours, I went out for a quick jog.  They live just down the street."

                I nodded.  "And…?"

                "We got to talking.  Well—I did the talking.  She kept looking around like she was afraid someone would see us.  I thought I was the problem, but I guess it was the other way around…."

                "What'd you talk about?"

                She gave me a 'look.'

                "I'm just curious.  Is that a crime now?"

                "It'd be better if you didn't get involved in gossip.  You never told me how your day went."

                "Just watch Mean Girls again.  You'll get it."

                "So you have cool artsy friends?"

                "I wish.  I think I can count one friend… maybe two."

                "Who's the first?"

                "Charlie Jones."

                She grew serious.  "And where did you meet this 'Charlie Jones'?"

                "In the administration office.  She'd gotten into a fight."  Or started it, but the look on Mom's face suggested I leave that part out.  I should've left the whole fight out.

                "Wait—first, Charlie's a girl?"  I nodded.  "And you say she was in a fight?"  I nodded again.  "Bella, I said to make friends, but I think you—"

                "Charlie wasn't the bad guy.  Cynthia Connor was."

                "Oh…."  It was safe to say Mom knew who that was.  "Well, if this fighting thing isn't a weekly or monthly occurrence, I see no harm in your friendship with her.  At least she has good taste.  But just be careful.  I know loyalty is important, but try to avoid physical altercations.  So, who's the second?"

                "… Ethan Walker."

                Mom smiled.  "Do you like this Ethan Walker?"

                "No….  I mean, I think he's nice, that's all."

                She raised an eyebrow.