Ch. 38

****According to Wattpad, this chapter has been rated R.  I have an idea why, but I'm not sure.  I am assuming what you're about to read... well, you've already read about it before.  There is nothing graphic whatsoever, not even a curse word, as far as I can tell.  Still... enjoy!****

Charlie and I were already crying by the time I'd finished the letter.  Ethan just looked sad, seeing as how he'd already read it.

               The sun was beginning to set.  Mom texted me, asking where I was.  I replied that I was hanging out with Charlie and Ethan, and that I'd be home soon.

                "So," I said in the silence, "what're we going to do now?"

                "We have to get Wyatt caught," said Ethan.  "Beatrice wanted you to know what happened to Charlotte because it's happening all over again, Bella.  The Wyatts have to pay, one way or another."

                "And I need to get a pregnancy test," said Charlie.  We looked to her with wide eyes.  "Just in case," she said quietly.  "Let's just go get me one, and then go home and sleep on this.  We can talk and figure out more tomorrow.  I just want to rest."

                Ethan kissed her head before getting out.  We would be following him.  Charlie lied back down.

                "I know it's a stupid question," I said quietly, "but are you okay?"

                "I'm better," she offered.  "I'm just scared that I'm pregnant.  I hope to God I'm not."

                I started following Ethan out of the park.  "Well, if you need anything—anything—call or text me.  I'll come over and pick you up, even if it's in the middle of the night.  I'm not gonna be bothered."

                "You're scared I'll think about suicide."

                Of course I was.

                "I'm not gonna kill myself, Bella.  While this is the most horrible thing to ever happen to me… suicide isn't worth it.  I'm not Charlotte—so don't get us confused.  I told you and Ethan.  That's something Charlotte didn't do.  And that's something those other girls… whoever they are, didn't do… or aren't doing."  She sighed.  "Ethan's right.  We have to expose Wyatt—for their sakes, not just mine."

*

We stopped at a convenience store.  There was a brief, tense moment where I volunteered to be the one who bought the pregnancy test, and Ethan adamantly pointed out the whole town would know about it, and I that I shouldn't have to put myself through that.

                He said he'd manage it.

                Charlie and I went in, and then Ethan followed later like he wasn't with us. 

                As easygoing as we could manage, Charlie and I bought some candy, distracting the clerk as Ethan went back outside. 

                We got back to our cars as Ethan pulled out a pregnancy test box from under his jacket.  It was decided that we would meet in the parking lot before school—early, I added, because I wanted to talk some more.  I wanted to give Charlie a break before springing my suspicions that Catherine Connor was possibly another victim.

                Ethan got into his truck, and I got into my car, but, to my surprise, Charlie didn't.

                "I think I'll ask Ethan to take me home," she said.  "Is that okay?"