Ch. 20

I told the universe I would give anything to go back and not ask that question.  What could I possibly say after that?  Sorry—never mind—I didn't mean to ask about your dating history… at least not until I knew you better.  No!

                Ethan coughed.  "Uh, yeah… I did.  Where's this coming from?"

                Was it hot in here, or was it just my face?  "That question doesn't count."  Then what was I going to ask him about instead?

                "Um… okay, but I feel I get to ask you a question now."

                This probably wasn't going to be good.  "Fine," I grumbled, returning to the task at hand.

                "Why did your parents split up?"

                Oh.  "My dad cheated on my mom," I said simply.  I thought he was going to ask if I, like, liked him or something.  I wasn't so sure myself, but I didn't want him asking me that, and I certainly didn't want to answer that.

                "You answered that pretty fast," he said.

                "It's old news.  He had an affair with one woman, and then fathered a baby with another—all in the span of three years while he was still married to my mom.  Neither woman knew about the other.  Well… at least until I caught him and the two other women arguing in our kitchen one day after school."

                "Wow…."

                "I know, right?"  I still felt naked in the robe.  Or was it because a boy was near….

                "No, I mean… that sounds really bad, but you said it like it wasn't a big deal."

                I frowned.  "It's not a big deal anymore."  I gathered my clothes and shoes (hiding my underwear… because he's a boy) and left the stall.

                Ethan looked a little upset.  "Doesn't it bother you?"

                "Why is it bothering you?"  I went ahead to the washer and dryer, Ethan right behind me.

                "I'm just… surprised, that's all.  I kind of thought you were lying about the divorce and your dad actually died or something."

                "Oh, no—he's alive… somewhere."  I put my clothes and shoes (after removing the laces) in the dryer, trying to keep composure under the fact that I was along with a boy and I was sort of naked.  Of course, Ethan's being bothered by my backstory was ruining the thrill of it all.  I glanced at him.  "You're not pitying me, are you?"

                "When did this all happen?"

                "Uh… a little over a year ago.  Let me ask you something—"

                He held up a hand.  "Wait, we're not done with you yet.  Have you talked to him?"

                This was getting annoying.  "Not for a year, no."  I was starting to wish he would drop it.  "Why is this bothering you?" 

                "What's bothering me is how you're so robotic about it, like you don't even care."

                "I did care—what sucks is that he didn't!"