Ch. 40

It had already been decided that, on the night of the Spring Concert, Charlie, Ethan, and I were going to sneak into Principal Wyatt's office and find the proof we needed. 

                Hopefully, Ethan's new lock-picking skills would work; maybe he could even hack into Wyatt's computer itself.  I thought of bringing gloves and a plastic bag to find that knife Wyatt had.  I'd seen movies and detective TV shows; I was sure Wyatt's fingerprints would be on the hilt and… I don't know, skin flakes or DNA could be found on the blade part.

                What we hadn't really thought about was the Spring Concert itself.

                Mr. C decided that we would do a small pattern: whole class singing, then two solos, and the group again, two solos and repeat until we'd finished.  There would be a ten-minute intermission, which did not seem like enough time to do anything.

                "Why don't we get the group songs out of the way?" Charlie suggested.

                Mr. C had just finished explaining the schedule.  "What do you mean?"

                "We should sing the songs from the whole class first, and then it's just the solos."

                The music teacher frowned in thought.  "I don't know."

                "It'd be less chaotic," I added.  "We'd have to switch back and forth between our songs and the solos, and that could be a hassle on whoever's working the instrumental tracks or providing accompaniment."

                "And maybe we won't be as nervous," said a younger boy, maybe a freshman.

                "Yeah," an equally younger girl agreed.  "We won't be so nervous about singing in front of crowd by ourselves if we get used to it first with a group."

                "Assuming there is a crowd," said a senior.  That earned him a few chuckles.

                Mr. C glanced at everyone who spoke, and then addressed who didn't speak.  "And you all feel the same?"

                There was a small chorus of agreement.

                "Okay, then, if it makes it easier for you, we'll do that."  Ethan and I glanced at Charlie in appreciation, solving a problem for us.  I couldn't believe our luck.

                "Now that we've decided that, we need  to figure out which solos are going first."

                "Me and Charlie first," I said, shooting my hand up.

                Mr. C looked surprised at my enthusiasm.  "Alright, since you beat everyone to it.  Now who's s—"

                "I'll go second," said Ethan.  That earned him a few looks, given that he often didn't speak in class.

                "Wow, a lot of enthusiasm," Mr. C noted.

                "I'll go third, then," said Cynthia, raising her hand.  She gave me a friendly smile before turning back around, but then I glanced around at Charlie, who didn't look very pleased.

                In less than five minutes, we had the order of the solos, and even three new volunteers.  After class, Charlie, Ethan, and I decided that we would have plenty of time after our solos to get in and out of Wyatt's office.