Chapter Twenty Four

'Broken clavical, bruised radius, abrasions and cuts and low blood sugar.'

'I missed dinner. I was working.'

'At least she isn't dehydrated.' Sonya was trying really hard to help. The Doc scowled at her.

'Can I go now? Please?' It was only twenty hundred hours, but I'd had enough. I was feeling pensive. Ayms was feeling serene, if a little cheerful for having saved my life, but he was otherwise OK. It was weird feeling two completely different emotions so strongly at once. I think Ayms liked being a hero.

It was found out that Garrent was indeed a drug addict and had been stealing the pain medication and surgical anaesthetic from Mosquito seven and when he realised he couldn't keep his activities hidden any longer, he tried to muddle up the situation so he decided he could get away by doing away with me instead. If I wasn't able to talk about it, then what could they do to him?

I stared at Doc, waiting. He huffed.

'Yes, you can go. Just stay out of trouble for at least a week, you're putting a medical man's heart at risk.'

'What a stupid thing to say Doc!' I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and stood up. 'You're much too old for me, medical man or not!' I quickly scooped up my gear and the extra knee brace that I'd ask to be printed and skipped out of triage before Doc stopped spluttering. My arm was in a lime green cast – punishment for damaging it again apparently – and in a plexifab arm sling to keep my should immobile. Sonya had given me everything she could to speed up recovery, including a different brand of analgesic so I wouldn't swing from the rafters like last time. I was supposed to be heading back to my quarters, but I had one last stop of the day before I retired.

'Where are you going, Private Moss?' And then there was Ortiz, my ever loving shadow. I think he was going to be following me around all the time now.

'A quick stop to the brig, then home for a shower.'

'The brig?'

'Yes. Now which way, please?' I'd never actually been to the brig and had no idea where it was situated on the ship. When Ortiz didn't say anything, I looked at him, giving him my most determined stare. 'I have to do this, or it will cripple me as much as I have crippled him. Which way, please?' My voice was quiet, almost a whisper.

'This way.' He turned down the corridor. I could almost hear him sigh in frustration and resignation. I followed him to the forward lifts and we took it down to the lowest deck and moved forward again. We came to a guard station outside a set of doors. Ortiz had a word with them and they both let me past.

Garret was being seen to by Florenze. He was lying on a cot in the back of the room and he looked miserable.

'How's he doing, Marcy?' I asked quietly from the entrance to his cell. From the looks of the guy, he looked like he was close to having a mental break.

'What does she want? Come back to finish me off? Why isn't she in here instead of me, she tried to kill me!' Sargent Burns placed a hand on his chest to keep him in the bed.

'You've heard the recording and seen the evidence and you're still going with that story?' Florenze got up and walked away. Burns got up and followed her to stand inside the entrance.

'Hey, hey! What about my knee?'

'What about it?' Florenze left his cell and stopped in front of me and her commanding officer. 'Permission to be excused, sir? Ma'am?' I held up a hand before Ortiz could speak.

'Yes, Florenze. Could you please find me a meal and have it delivered to my quarters?'

'With pleasure, ma'am.' She saluted, turned and marched out. I sighed. She was offended on my behalf.