Chapter Twenty Three

New day, new portable coffee mug, new thigh pocket full of Omicron Dark Roast coffee stack. By breakfast I had decided to start on my calculus maths courses first to get it out of the way. I was never a huge fan of maths but for some reason reading the material and working notes left me feeling really satisfied. Then I realised it was Ayms. He loved maths. So I set my replacement mug to maths inscriptions, I spent the whole morning working, studying in mute, using my new mug to communicate. It pissed off certain ward medical technician. Very fun.

Maths has serious problems; Maths makes life add up; Maths is the only subject that counts; Fractions speak louder than nerds. And my personal favourite: 3.14 of sailors are πRates.

Smith came back to me at lunch time with my brand new lenses.

'Hey Libby. I have a few very jealous computer nerds in the Core division who are begging me for my hook-up source. I promise you, I had to reject four hundred credits, two dates with hot computer geeklettes, and a pack of rare Shard cards. You have broken me.' He had his hand over his heart, head bowed. Chanau and I were laughing. I held out my hand and Smith deposited a new glasses case on my palm. Inside were my new lenses. I held out my other hand to Chanau who deposited said rare Shard cards and I placed these before Smith.

'What? No! I was kidding.'

'Thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate what you have done for me. Take those as a token of my thanks.' I bowed my head to him and he took his new Shard cards and held them close.

'What do I do about all the enquires though. I even had my division chief demand to know my source.'

'Tell them they can learn more from Corporal Daila Ferguson in medical. That should keep everyone happy.'

'Oh, that is so mean!'

'She glued my last mug to the medical staffroom bench. What's a little confused attention compared to that?' We all laughed.

There was a change of plans for my afternoon shift. With Miss Georgie's permission, Sonya asked me to restock first aid kits all over the ship. When I got back from lunch there was a stack of medical materials and medications stacked on my Bob sled.

I began in the engineering division, aft of the ship and went through every first aid kit with its red cross on white box. On all three decks. The main engineering bay's kit was as I expected. Pain meds, bandages, blood clotters and bandages. I checked the resource replacements with the reports on the central medical files for the engineering division and the needed replacements matched our medical records. I also replaced two packets of analgesic that were coming to end of their shelf life. The other two kits were all good, just need outdated pain meds replaced.

I closed up the last kit and placed it back on the wall beside the engineering chief's office. Next up was life support. There was only one kit needing to check out in life support as the whole space was mostly water filtration, air tanks, Co2 scrubbers and recycling. They needed bruising cream replaced and an arm splint. This all matched with central medical records.

Central Intelligence Centre, or better known as CIC, had two familiar guards outside it. I wasn't permitted to enter the division and was asked to wait outside. One of the guards from my shopping mission entered the doors and came back moments later with the red and white first aid kit. I took the time to go over everything carefully under the watchful eyes of the guards on the door. I wasn't sure if they were making sure I didn't steal anything, or if they were perplexed to have an Ambassador doing menial labour.

The usual blood clotters, eye drops, pain meds were replaced, but an emergency lazer scalpel was missing and wasn't written in the central files. I quickly sent a message to Doc Brandson in case it was important, then returned the complete kit back to the marine on the door.