Chapter 8

Alex and I walked to Central Park in silence. But it wasn't and awkward silence, it was like the comfortable, safe silence.

Does that make sense?

Probably not.

Our hands were still laced together. I noticed Alex glance down and smile to himself every so often, which made me internally squeal like a fourteen year old girl over Justin Bieber.

Thea.

Even though Thea hated Justin Bieber and only listens to 80's and 90's music. She has an obsession with retro designs and loves Michael Jackson with a passion.

Strange child.

While I was lost in my thoughts, Alex had stopped walking, causing me to snap back in reality when I almost fell backwards.

"What're you doing?" I asked as I followed his gaze...

A liquor store?

"Oh hell no." I said as a tried to drag him along the sidewalk, but he wouldn't budge.

"What is that?" He asked, still not moving.

"Something you don't need. Now come on, we're almost to the park." I gave up on trying to pull him away, and was trying to catch my breath again.

Alex looked at me, amused that I was failing at trying to move him.

"Frustrated." He said, hitting my shoulder softly so I wouldn't fall. I smiled and stuck my tongue out at him. His eyes glowed for a moment with something I couldn't decipher before it was gone and he smiled.

I led the way to the park, our hands still locked together as we walked. Alex would squeeze my hand every so often as if he was trying to make sure I was still there. Something about the gesture made me sad. It was like he was scared of being left alone.

And I was too.

We arrived at the park and Alex's face immediately lit up with wonder.

The majority of this place was just trees, but he seemed amazed by it so I went along and let him lead the way.

Alex walked through all the trees, still holding my hand, making it hard to keep up with him.

We stayed in the park for about an hour until we went to find food somewhere near by. Alex refused to let go of my hand no matter how much I asked, so we received strange looks from the other citizens.

"Are you going to eat?" I asked, raising a brow at him.

"Eat what?"

"Uhhhh food? What else would you eat?" I could practically feel the sarcasm dripping with every word.

Then I remembered he wasn't human, and probably has no idea what any of this is.

Heh, I guess its pretty alien to him..

I'll go home.

Alex stared at me with pure confusion before scanning all the options.

"What's the best?" He asked, turning back to face me.

"Well, personally, I like Papa John's. But I eat pizza too much, unless you want to try it. Their breadsticks are heaven.. but then again, who doesn't like breadsticks?" Hold on.. am I seriously rambling about Papa John's? I turned to see Alex grinning at me, causing my heart to almost jump out of my chest.

"Well, you obviously seem very passionate about.. Papa John's?" He scrunched up his nose at the name, that succeeded in making me smile.

"Like I said, I eat pizza a lot." I unconsciously grabbed his and walked across the street to Papa John's. When we passed by the liquor store, Alex seemed like he wanted to go in again. But I told him that is was bad for his system and that we wouldn't be able to buy any because obviously, I'm not of age.

We ordered the pizza and began to walk back home. Alex still seems amazed by every little thing, looking up at the tall skyscrapers with the awe of a child.

It was about 1:00 when we arrived back to the apartment building. I placed the pizza on the isle and left Alex in the living area while I went to put all the things we bought in my room.

I walked back into the living area to see Alex looking at a family photo.

"Who's that?" He asked, gesturing toward my father.

"That's my dad.. he died from cancer when I was fourteen, almost fifteen." I tried to avoid looking at the photo, but Alex grabbed my chin making me look up at him. He frowned before speaking.

"Sad."

"Ah.. yeah.. it's a touchy subject and we try to avoid it." Alex's frown deepened. He was getting close to my face.. really close.

I cleared my throat and stepped away, going to the isle and grabbing a slice of pizza. Thea would be home in about an hour a so, causing me to grimace. How was a supposed to explain Alex to her?

I handed Alex a slice of pizza. He looked at it while raising a brow at me, which I returned and nodded toward the pizza. He reluctantly took it, taking a bite. His brows raised in surprise, and he gave me an astonished look. I just smiled at him and started eating another slice.

"No wonder you eat this a lot.. it's good, " Alex tilted his head, "I still want to try that liquor stuff." I shook my head, opening the fridge and grabbing a can of coke. I handed him the can, which he immediately opened.

"I already told you, I'm not old enough to buy alcohol, so you deal with that or water." I said, turning to glance at the clock.

Twenty minutes until Thea got home..

Time to think of a plan.