Chapter 7 - Home of Hearts

Start from the beginning

"Good morning, Pen," Dad said with a smile on his face.

"Morning," I stated with a broad wave for everyone present. "The food looks mouth-watering."

"I knew you'd be hungry when you woke up," Shiah said with a smile.

My stomach rumbled again in reply as I plopped into the chair beside Dad.

Shiah threw back her head and laughed. "Looks like I finished just in time."

Daddy chuckled.

My face warmed with embarrassment when I saw Benin's penetrating gaze.

Shiah placed a plate in front of me. "Eat as much as you want dear." She patted my shoulder. "No need to be embarrassed."

I still waited until someone else put food on their plate before I did. A variety of food crowded the small table: pancakes, eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast, fresh fruit salad, milk, and orange juice. I tried to be delicate, but my stomach protested, and before long I forgot everything else but the food. I perceived the clatter of utensils, chewing, and the sound of liquid being poured.

After cleaning my second plate, I looked around at the others. Shiah chewed with a cheerful expression on her face. Daddy frowned in concentration over his food and Benin appeared to be in a thoughtful debate with himself, tapping out a rhythm on the side of his chair as he stared at nothing.

I broke the silence. "So what's your theory Benin?"

His eyes locked with mine. "I've never met someone like you," he said out of nowhere.

"Um, okay," I said tucking in a stray curl that picked that moment to fall into my face. I cleared my throat. "I've met no one like you either. I was convinced I'd never meet another Earth Singer. According to the Book of Entry, there are forty-two earth singers, one in each realm, and I guess this is your realm." I rambled, pulling at another curl at the nape of my neck.

"My realm? What does that mean?" Benin seemed surprised; I guess I wasn't the only one in the dark on some things. "And what's the Book of Entry?"

Daddy cleared his throat. "Looks like you two have a lot to discuss. Why don't you show Pendra your garden?" He said to Benin.

"Oh, I'd love to see your garden," I said. "I had a garden back home. I miss it."

"Sure," he said standing to lead the way.

I held my tongue until we reached the gate of the large garden. Plants of every variety grew, even some I'd never seen before. "This is incredible."

"Thank you," Benin said opening the gate for me to enter. My feet tread the soft soil path that led deeper into the garden. I breathed in the bright red, blue, orange, purple, and yellow flowers.

It wasn't just a simple garden, it was a work of art; a well thought-out and planned masterpiece. I plucked an apple off a tree, in a row of various fruit trees, and took a huge bite. Juice ran down the side of my mouth, and I closed my eyes to enjoy it.

"You still hungry?" Benin asked.

I wiped the juice off my mouth with the back of my hand. "No, but it looked irresistible."

"Yes, it does," he said moving closer and plucked an apple over my head.

My ears burned. I stepped around Benin and continued to explore the garden. "It must be lovely to have the freedom to create such beauty." I paused in front of an oddly shaped gold and purple flower. "What's this? It almost looks like a daisy, tulip, and petunia all in one."