Chapter Fifteen

I waited for what seemed like hours for Joey to call me or text me. While I was waiting for him to get in contact with me, I couldn't stop talking about thinking about our kiss. It was real. It was really real. It wasn't to see if one of us felt anything. It wasn't out of anger. It was just because. 

And it felt right. I never felt that way kissing anyone before. Kissing Joey was the best feeling I have ever felt. But what did it mean? What was next to come? Where do we go from here? What if he got the idea that I want a relationship with him? I can't do that. There's no way I can get caught holding hands with a guy at school. It would get to my mom in a heartbeat.

I shook the thought out of my head. I sighed as I looked at my phone checking the time. It was 8:32 PM. Why wasn't he calling anything? I sighed again and got up from my bed and decided to get something to eat downstairs. When I reached the bottom of the stairs, I looked at living room. My dad was sitting  in his easy chair reading the newspaper. My mom was across the room on her laptop, probably doing something for the PSLBC. I looked at the sight of them. It was sad. They've stopped arguing lately, but they just stopped talking altogether. It's even worse because I'm not even that close to my parents to where I can just ask them what's going on with their marriage. This was the bad thing of having busy parents and being the only child.

I walked into the kitchen and looked in the refrigerator when I heard the doorbell ring. I froze instantly. Was that Joey? I ran to the hallway, but stopped when I saw my father open the door.  I ran back into the kitchen before I could see who was at the door.

"Oh, hello Joey." I head my father say. My eyes grew wide. I started to run my way out of the kitchen, but I bumped into someone, falling back.

I heard a chuckle. "Sorry." It was Joey. He held his hand out and I reached for it and pulled myself up.

"Joey! Why didn't you text me or call me? You do realize what time it is right?" I whispered.

"Just though I'd surprise you." Joey said laughing.

Before I could retort, my dad came in the kitchen. He stopped where he was and looked at something between me and Joey. His eyebrow arched. Me and Joey followed his gaze and realized we were still holding hands. We quickly dropped our hands. My dad looked back at us, his eyebrow still arched. "Can I help you with something Joseph?" my dad asked.

"Oh, I was just wondering if Isaiah wanted to have his Spanish lesson today. We haven't had one in almost two weeks." Joey said quickly.

"Are you sure? It's almost nine." My dad said.

"I'm fine with it dad, honestly. I need a lesson anyway." I said before Joey could come up with a bad excuse.

My dad studied us for a second. Then walked out. "Alright. Just don't stay out too late, Isaiah." he called out as he left.

I looked at Joey. "So...that talk?"

Joey took my hand. "Come on." He led me through the back door in the kitchen, through the backyard, to the front of my house, and to his. When we got in the driveway, he opened the car door for me. He smiled. "Get in."

I looked at him for a second, then got in the car. "Where are we going?" I asked him when he got in the drivers seat.

"Well, we were going to talk, weren't we?" he asked chuckling.

"Yeah. But we're going to be in your car in your driveway? We could've just been on the phone." I said laughing.

Joey started the car. "I thought we'd grab a bite to eat and talk. We never really did that before." He smiled. He had a point. "Does In-N-Out sound good?"