Chapter One

Joey and I really didn’t become best friends like our mothers had hoped for us. We went to the same elementary, middle and, now, high school but Joey was two years older than me, and I was pretty sure he didn’t want to be friends with an underclassmen all the time. We did say hi from time to time, and when either of our parents threw a party, we would always have small talk, but that was it. My mother also offered him a job to take care of our front and backyard lawns for 100 dollars every other Thursday of each month. I rarely talked to him when he came over though.

The summer before sophomore year was the same as any other summer. My parents went to work for long hours, and I was home by myself. Sure, I had friends to hang out with, but I just chose to stay home. Besides, I rarely had time alone during the school year. One thing that was going to be different about this summer was that my girlfriend, Corinne Adams, and I were going to celebrate our six months together.

Corinne, you could say, was my first serious relationship. I've had a few flings with a couple of girls here and there, but it was kid stuff. This was the real thing. We went out on a few dates and we bought things for each other. She already had my parents approval and I had her parents approval too.

Coincidentally, my parents weren’t home for the week of me and Corinne's anniversary. They went to the Paradise Spring Country Club’s couples retreat with Joey’s parents, even though my father was reluctant about it. He wasn't too fond of the people at the country club, except for Joey's parents. He said everyone else, though, had their head up their asses all the time.

He wasn't lying.

I invited Corinne over on a Thursday, since my parents were supposed to arrive from the cruise on Friday. I had everything set for dinner; Chinese takeout completed with candle light. She arrived at my house around 430pm, even though I told her 600pm.

Her face beamed as soon as she walked into the kitchen and saw the set table with the candleights. "Isaiah Wells, you have certainly outdone yourself." she said grinning.

I walked behind her and hugged her behind the waist. "I had to do it for the best girlfriend in the world." I said softly in her ear.

She giggled as she broke from my grasp and went to the candlelit table. "Let's eat, I'm hungry!" she announced.

I laughed and joined her at the table. We both ate our dinner quietly. There were a few "wow this is really good" and "we should do this more often"'s from Corinne. I simply replied with "mhm"'s and "definitely"'s.

We finished dinner in a short amount of time. I got up and gathered our plates and went to the sink and washed our dishes. It was her turn to hug me from behind.

"You know, for making a great dinner like that, you deserve an award." she said, her cheek resting on my back, her arms around my waist.

"Oh really?" I answered as I finished wiping a plate. I placed it on the rack on the counter and turned around to face her. "And what award is that?"

A mischevious grin was growing on her face. "Come to your room and I'll show you." she purred.

I knew what she had in mind, and even though we've been together for six months, I wasn't ready for it. My mind was racing as she took my hand and led me upstairs to my room. What if I wasn't good? What if I don't last long as I should? Or worse, what if she got pregnant?

We finally reached my room. She closed the door and locked it, which I found weird because my parents weren't going to come home anytime soon. I guess she was being extra careful. I stood frozen by the door as she passed me and sat on my bed, legs crossed looking at me trying to look seductive. "Well?" she said impatiently.