This has never happened before and I'm more than a little shocked right now. Darby is so hot and cold, that I never know what to expect but this, this I never saw coming. "It's a little late."

"I don't have a bedtime." 

I follow her back to her apartment, trying to not let my mind run wild with thoughts of what this means or what could potentially happen. We're standing outside her door, her keys dangling from her hand when she turns to me, "Hey, what did Ellie mean when she said that you really like me?" 

Dammit Ellie. Now is not the time for this. I can't tell her that I like her right now, it's not the right time and I don't even know if it's something she would want to hear. "Uh, I told her that I really like being friends with you, but you met her, she gets carried away with things and...I really like being your friend." 

I wait for her to call bullshit because that was honestly pathetic. After a few seconds she nods her head and turns back towards the door, turning the key and pushing it open. Once inside she holds the door open for me and with an almost unnoticeable smile, "I really like being friends with you too."

-----------------------------------------------

Instead of staying with my mom over summer break, I actually ended up spending the majority of my time at Kit and Ellie's. It just made sense to stay with them so that I could still run and hang out with Darby, as well as be a little closer to work. 

I hang out with Darby a lot more now - we're almost always together, and if she's not with me she can usually be found with Ellie. The two of them quickly became friends, and while it's weird at times to see the two of them together, I'm glad that they like each other and are friends. If Darby and I ever do become something, she would have to accept that Ellie is my best friend and that she will always be around. In the past, even though Ellie is clearly in love with Kit, girls have been jealous of our friendship, but that doesn't seem like it will be a problem with Darby.

Things have been going really well ever since the night I first went to Darby's apartment and told her my whole life story, from my dad leaving to Kit's tumor and meeting Ellie. Things finally seem to be falling into some sort of place, and I'm happy about it - even if it's still a little confusing at times. 

--------------------------------------------------

Today is Independence Day and I have invited Darby to a cook out at my mom's house with my family. It took her a few days to tell me if she was going to come or not, but when I woke up this morning I had a text from her saying she'd be there and asking what time we were leaving.  

At three o'clock Darby meets us in the parking lot and we all pile into my jeep. Kit and Ellie sit in the back even though Ellie hates it, and I hear them whispering every time Darby and I say something to each other or look in each others direction. I glare at them through the rear view mirror when Darby isn't paying attention, but that just causes them to giggle and whisper some more. 

When we pull into the driveway Kit and Ellie grab the food we brought and head to the backyard where Ellie's mom and step-dad are waiting for them. Darby starts to follow them, but I reach for her hand and stop her. She raises a brow in question but doesn't pull her hand away.

"So, you're not my girlfriend or anything, but I've never brought a girl home and they're definitely going to make assumptions and be embarrassing." 

Darby laughs, "It's okay, I kind of expected as much. I've met Ellie, you know."

"Good point." 

I remember when Ellie first met our mom and grandma and how nervous Kit was about it. Kit had his own reasons to not want our mom to meet El, but I also have my reasons with Darby. I don't want my mom or anyone to scare her and make her think that I think this is something more than it is. Just because I might want us to be more than friends doesn't mean that my mom needs to be the one to tell her that. And knowing my mom, she just might let it slip in casual conversation.

An hour into the cook out I realize that just like Kit, I was worried for no reason. My mom loves Darby and Darby seems to like her too. Grandma tells Darby how pretty she is every time she sees her, and every time Darby blushes and quietly says thank you, as if she's never heard the compliment before. 

"We'll try to make it to more of your games this season, Finn. Work should be less hectic this year."

I reluctantly draw my attention away from Darby, who is sitting at the patio table with Ellie and Ellie's mom, and turn towards David, Ellie's step dad. "You don't have to do that, David."

"Sure we do. Playing college ball is an honor, and you're good, I enjoy watching you play. We'll be there to cheer you on as much as we can." He places a hand on my shoulder, offering me a smile before going to refill his drink. 

I look back at Darby and find that she's also looking at me, lost in her own thoughts and completely oblivious to whatever Ellie and Carol are talking about. I smile at her and raise my cup in her direction. She smiles back before ducking her head and hiding behind the hair that falls over her shoulder as she says something to Ellie, causing her to laugh. 

It's funny how a few months ago Darby was so hostile and cold towards me, but now she's smiling at me all the time and cracking jokes. Sometimes she gets quiet and distant, but I don't think it has anything to do with me. There's still some things Darby hasn't told me about herself, and that's okay because there's still things that I haven't told her about me.

Right now she's laughing at something Carol just said and she looks so happy. Her tan skin is glowing in the sun, her brown hair is falling in loose waves and framing her face. She's wearing shorts, so I can see how toned her legs have become since we started running and I'm sure that if I got close enough, I'd see the green flakes in her brown eyes dancing in the sun.

"You really like her, don't you?" 

I look over at Kit, who is watching me watch Darby with a knowing smile. "Yeah. I really do." A lot actually. More and more every day. "How did you know that you wanted to be more than friends with El?" 

Kit doesn't answer right away. He watches Ellie as she gets up and walks across the yard to help our mom set the table. I wonder if I look as hopeless and mesmerized when I look at Darby. As if she could feel herself being watched, Ellie looks up from the table where she's sitting out plates and gives Kit a smile that is reserved only for him. 

"I never wanted to be friends with Ellie, Finn. I was hers the second I saw her." 

---------------------------

After we ate, we all sat around talking and waiting for the fireworks to start since the house is close enough to the field where they are set off that we can see them from the backyard. Kit and I have spent every Fourth of July of our lives sitting in this backyard watching fireworks and picking out our favorite ones, and it's nice to keep the tradition alive even if we're getting older and our family is getting bigger.

Darby is sitting next to me on the small patio couch and Kit is sitting with Ellie on another small couch beside us. Mom, grandma, Carol, and David are all sitting at a picnic table across the yard. It used to just be the four of us, for years it was only the four of us and then Ellie came along and her family followed. Not only do Carol and David treat Kit like family, but the do the same with me - they come to my games, they ask how I'm doing, they get me birthday gifts. 

The doorbell rings from inside the house, and we all look at one another before mom shouts out from across the lawn, "Finn, you're closest."  

"Kit is closer!" I point to my brother, who then points at Ellie. She has her legs draped over his lap and sticks her tongue out at me, blue from the Popsicle she's currently eating.

"Fine, I'll get it." I slap Ellie's foot as I walk past her and towards the house. 

The doorbell rings once more as I approach the front door. "I'm coming!" I can't see anyone through the glass window on the door, but I open it anyway, revealing a man standing a little off to the side of the porch and facing the street. When he hears the door open he turns around and in an instant, a heavy weight fills my chest and I can't breathe.

"What are you doing here?"