4

June

Day and I are going to go on a date tonight. We have been dating since we graduated high school.

We are both newly out of college. My phone rings and I run across my apartment to find it

It's Day.

"Hey." I say.

"Hi June." He says. "Meet me outside your apartment building when you're ready?"

"Yeah. Give me two minutes."

"Ok. I love you." He says.

"Love you too. Bye." He hangs up and I run to grab my shoes.

I wish he would just propose already. I have been waiting on him for years.

I run downstairs and out the door to find Day. The ground soon is not enough to hold me up and I fall into the grass in a mess of tears.

Day is lying on the sidewalk in a pool of blood. I slowly get up as the grass tickles my legs and my tears tickle my cheeks.

I scream for help and call 911. In what seems like an hour, an ambulance arrives and takes him away.

"I'll drive his car to the hospital with me." I said to the man who offered to have me ride in there.

I run into the parking lot and find his car after having already retrieved his keys from his pocket. I drive carefully to the hospital occasionally letting out an annoyed huff.

The ER parking lot is relatively empty. As I run through the door I receive a call from my mother.

"Hello?" I answer.

"June, you don't seem happy." She says.

"I'm not."

"What happened?" She seems frantic.

"Day is in the hospital. I don't know what happened for sure. He may have been shot."

"Oh my stars, how?"

"I don't know Mom. I have to go." I am admitted to the waiting room and told Day is in emergency surgery to try to find the bullet and remove it.

••••••

"Family of Daniel Wing." A doctor calls out.

"Hi, I'm Doctor Nelson."

"Is Daniel okay?" I ask.

"I'm sorry to inform you that he didn't make it. I was sent to come and ask if you wanted to see him and get his belongings." I nod.

I am frozen. I can't feel anything. Tears are rolling out of my eyes but I feel numb.

I walk down the hallway in silence and sit at a chair in the room where his lifeless body lays.

"I love you." I whisper. "Have his parents been contacted?" I ask the doctor.

"No miss. The nurses are doing that now. I'm sorry for your loss." The doctor hands me the blood stained coat that Day was wearing. There's a hole in the back now.

The left side is heavier than the right. I empty the pockets but it just throws me over the edge. There's a ring in here.

A scream escapes my mouth as I slip the ring on my finger. I had to wear it at least once.

The doctor has left the room and here I am sitting next to my lover's dead body.

I walk over to him and kiss him one last time. He's still wearing that paperclip ring.

I made it for him back in high school. I was bored in math class. He treasured it for years. For the rest of his life.

••••••

I can't do it anymore. I swear it gets worse everyday. I hear a knock at the door.

"Hi June." Tess says when I open the door. She pushes on it to keep me from shutting her out. "Please, let me come in."

"Okay." I say hesitantly. I can tell Tess has been crying a lot too.

We sit together on the couch and I fall into her arms. Neither of us cries, but we silently mourn together.

"June, it will get better. I know it doesn't feel like it but you have to believe me."

"I know. I know." I say.

"Maybe you should go see someone about this." She says squeezing me in a tight hug.

"I don't know." I say.

"You lost the love of your life. It's okay to not be okay." I nod at her words.

"You're right. It will never be the same but it will be okay. Someday."

A/N: Thanks for reading! Vote and comment!

-Ava